Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nvidia OpenGL driver crash

Posted by scuba 
Nvidia OpenGL driver crash
March 28, 2012 03:59AM
Yesterday it happend the 3rd time. My OpenGL driver seems to crash while using Repetier Host and once again it happend just 2 minutes before my 2h print would have finished angry smiley. I'm quite sure that this problem is only related to the OpenGL driver and not to Repetier Host

The error message shown in event log is:
The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Please visit [www.nvidia.com] for help.
Error code: 8

I'm using a NVIDIA NVS 4200M on my Dell Latitude E6520 with the driver version "8.17.12.6883". Unfortunately Dell offers no new drivers for it so I've followed a recomendation to set the powerconsumtion option in NVIDIA controll to "maximum". I'm going to test it with the new parameters although I'm afraid to break another print.
I'll let you know if it solfed my issue
Re: Nvidia OpenGL driver crash
March 28, 2012 06:42AM
I agree it's a driver problem. If you search "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display" you see many threads with the same problem and different Porgramms using OpenGL.

See e.g. http://forums.adobe.com/message/3981159. I've seen different proposals, so maybe one of them works for you.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 28, 2012 11:02AM
Thx repetier! I've came to the same result while googling ;-) Unfortunately solfing this issue is more ore less a trial an error process.
March 29, 2012 06:05AM
All right... yesterdays 6h print finished successfully without any crashes smiling bouncing smiley .
March 29, 2012 06:15AM
Congratulations thumbs up

And what did you change? Just in case someone else is using the same card.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
March 29, 2012 08:41AM
As I mentioned above I've changed the "Power consumtion" option (no idea what's the correct menu entry in english versions) of the NVIDIA driver to "maximum". That's also the suggestion in your posted forum entry.

No guarantee that this solves the problem completely.
April 24, 2012 11:43PM
I would like to add a note here, as noted in the Repetier firmware readme.txt (not in Documentation) another solution to this graphics driver crash is to get an SD card for the reprap and load the print file to the SD and run the print from there.

under version notes section:

"4.3 SD card

Not only a RepRap can have an defect, but also your Computer may do things
causing your print to stop (power loss, reboot after update, ...). If your
board has a SD card, you can copy the G-Code to the card and just tell your
RepRap to print this file. The printer will happily ignore your computer crash
until your print is finished :-)"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login