Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with top layers on hollow/low infill objects (Prusa Edition) [solved]

Posted by pockpock 
Problems with top layers on hollow/low infill objects (Prusa Edition) [solved]
March 12, 2018 05:30PM
I'm trying to slice a cylinder which is 10mm in diameter. I want to print it hollow, however when I set the infill to 0% some of the top layer structures are completely unsuported.

You can see the result in my two pictures. The top-layer infill has a hole (1st picture), then the perimeters of the next layer are printed usupported on top of that hole (2nd picture)

What I'd expect is it'd bridge across the perimeters such that there is no hole. Is there a way to do that in slic3r?

Alternatively I could set the infill to a low value (5-10%), but if I do that, it always generates a completly solid infill, quadrupling print time and material usage. When I use a larger diameter object, that doesn't occur, so this is probabbly because 10mm is to small.
So if it's not possible to bridge the top layers, is there a way to disable the solid infill behavior?

Best regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 04:32PM by pockpock.
Attachments:
open | download - UnsupportedTop.PNG (73.6 KB)
open | download - UnsupportedTop2.PNG (72.7 KB)
Re: Problems with top layers on hollow/low infill objects (Prusa Edition)
March 13, 2018 03:43AM

, is there a way to disable the solid infill behavior?

That's a parameter called "solid infill threshold area" in the infill section of Slic3rPE

Can you turn around the part?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2018 03:44AM by o_lampe.
Re: Problems with top layers on hollow/low infill objects (Prusa Edition)
March 13, 2018 02:58PM
o_lampe
That's a parameter called "solid infill threshold area" in the infill section of Slic3rPE
Ah thank you, I wonder how I could have missed it. If I set this to 0 and then use a ridiculously low fill density (e.g. 0.1%) then the result is hollow and the top layers bridge accross the whole area.
Setting it to 0% gets me the same behavior as I described, so it seems to be designed to work like that. At least I have a workaround now, thanks again!

o_lampe
Can you turn around the part?
Sadly no, it is symmetrical and it's supposed to be a rolling part and printing it upright gets rid of the slicing aliasing, so I would need to print it with a lower layer height.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login