Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Having problems with my second print

Posted by ed_h 
Having problems with my second print
September 13, 2017 01:48AM
Hello--

I'm just getting into the 3D game. I have an Original Prusa i3 Mk2, and after some learning with Fusion 360 and Slic3r, I produced my first successful part a few days ago.

Now to my problem. My second part won't print. Slic3r seems to import it OK--I can see the part in Slic3r's window. I'm using all the same config settings I used on the successful part. Slic3r runs, and produces a gcode file. When I run the file on the printer, it goes through the bed sensing routines, flushes the nozzle at the front of the bed like normal, and then stops. The display says the file is 100% done.

Some investigation shows that the gcode file is suspiciously small--only 7K, which is apparently just the setup code. Slic3r also reports that the part will consume 0.00 mm of filament.

Any suggestions on things to check? I'll bet it's something obvious, but I'm too green to see it.

Thanks,

Ed
Re: Having problems with my second print
September 13, 2017 02:46AM
Maybe ticking the "detect thin walls" checkbox helps.
But without more information about the part it is shooting in the dark...
September 13, 2017 10:20PM
Here are a couple of screen shots of Slic3r--one before slicing, and one after exporting the gcode file.

Thanks,

Ed
September 14, 2017 04:26AM
size 0.75 x 0.75 x 0.25 is very small, did you import using the correct units (mm/inch)

can you post link to the part stl.
September 14, 2017 11:18AM
Usually you see a grid in the size of the bed you configured in slic3r below the part.
September 14, 2017 08:16PM
OK, I think we're on to something here. I checked Detect Thin Walls. The gcode file is now twice as big--14Kb, but Slic3r tells me that the part will consume only 10 mm of filament, so it appears that the suggestion of a units problem might be the key.

In Fusion, my document settings includes "Units: in". Does this not automatically get conveyed to Slic3r?

The STL file is attached.

Thanks,

Ed
Attachments:
open | download - Cable Guide Top.stl (46.3 KB)
September 14, 2017 08:22PM
Hi Ed,
No, units do not automatically get translated. STLs are unit-less. You need to scale your object up by 2540%. Or export in mm from Fusion.

[wps3dprinter.wordpress.com]

Frank

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 08:30PM by frankvdh.
September 14, 2017 09:13PM
frankvdh
Hi Ed,
No, units do not automatically get translated. STLs are unit-less. You need to scale your object up by 2540%. Or export in mm from Fusion.

[wps3dprinter.wordpress.com]

Frank

That's the answer, Frank. It's printing well now. I'm puzzled why my first print came out OK. Beginners luck, maybe.

Anyway, thanks all for the help.

Regards,

Ed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login