Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

keyboard issues on Ubuntu

Posted by coosadog 
keyboard issues on Ubuntu
September 11, 2017 01:28PM
no special keys are working so I can't edit anything needing text. These include backspace, delete, insert, enter, etc. Characters, spaces and numerals all work, but with those other keys, it's useless. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Re: keyboard issues on Ubuntu
September 11, 2017 03:46PM
Maybe you selected the wrong keyboard arrangement when you installed ubuntu. That should be editable in system settings...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 11, 2017 04:40PM
Thank you for your reply, but no, all of that is correct. It's something to do with Python, I'm pretty sure. Maybe tkinter... Pronterface has the same problem. I figured out how to edit the pronterface macros in my text editor, so it's not a problem. I have this issue with other python apps, too. I was hoping that someone here has a solution. Thanks again!
September 12, 2017 10:36AM
Have you tried a different keyboard? Maybe the one you are using is broken.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 12, 2017 02:50PM
Hahaha! Thanks! I'm using it right now... I use it all the time! How could I use it if the enter key doesn't work? Or backspace, for that matter. I'm a touch typist and I'd be dead without a keyboard... Oh well, this was the wrong place to ask this, I suppose. Thanks for the replies, though.
September 12, 2017 07:06PM
I haven't had the issue described with Slic3r, but I have had "shift" (Shift/Ctrl/Alt/Windows) keys get "stuck", maybe as part of swapping from one application window to another or some other GUI thing... it's as if one of the "shift" keys is being held down, which changes the function of the key you *are* pressing, sometimes to not doing anything at all. The answer for me was to press and release each "shift" key in turn.
September 12, 2017 08:33PM
Thanks for your reply. I think that it's Ubuntu, unique. And Python, in specific. I don't know what slic3r uses for it's gui interface but I bet it's tkinter. I suppose I should download the source code but I really don't want to do that. I am a retired developer, though... I don't like fixing other peoples stuff!!!! Thanks again!
November 23, 2017 08:02AM
I get the same thing on most of my Ubuntu systems. Strangely one works without a problem. Exact same packages installed. Go figure. I agree it's probably something to do with the GUI library.

I am able to work around this issue by highlighting text then typing over it.

So say a box reads "1" and you want to change it to "2".

Normally you'd place the cursor after the 1, press Backspace, then press 2. However, that doesn't work because Backspace does not register.

Instead, use the mouse to highlight the 1, then press 2.

For larger text boxes like G-Code, I highlight with the mouse and cut, use a text editor to edit, then paste back into the text box.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login