Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using Slic3r for laser SLA printing

Posted by peopoly 
Using Slic3r for laser SLA printing
April 14, 2017 09:02AM
Hi,

This is Mark Peng. I developed a laser-based SLA printer called Moai. You can find reviews on Youtube.
I have been using Cura 2.4 as the main slicer for Moai, and I like to test Slic3r as well.
But there is one problem that is preventing me from doing a full test. It is the "layer height cannot be greater than nozzle diameter" error message when I try to export to G-Code
For FDM, it makes sense because the diameter sets the limit on how much a hot end can extrude at a speed and have the layer height greater than diameter is going to cause problems.
There is no such concern for laser SLA as laser spot cures resins in a vat and there is no such problem when layer heights are higher than laser spot diameter.

Is there a way I can bypass Slic3r's check on layer height has to be less than nozzle diameter? I am not referring about exporting as SVG as that's for DLP/LCD type of SLA printing.
Attachments:
open | download - slic3r_2017-04-14_20-25-23.png (2.8 KB)
Re: Using Slic3r for laser SLA printing
April 14, 2017 01:56PM
What if you set a nozzle diameter that is greater than the layer height and play with the extrusion width to match your dot size?
April 18, 2017 08:46AM
o_lampe
What if you set a nozzle diameter that is greater than the layer height and play with the extrusion width to match your dot size?

Exactly what I would suggest. AFAIK Slic3r only uses the nozzle diameter to set maximum layer height and the automatic extrusion widths, therefore if you set the extrusion widths manually (which you will have to do with an SLA printer anyway), it makes no difference what nozzle diameter you have set.

Dave
April 19, 2017 12:09PM
Thanks for both of your help. I have been testing and it seemed to work
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login