Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modify object size to compensate for extrustion width

Posted by bbg 
bbg
Modify object size to compensate for extrustion width
March 06, 2017 03:15AM
Hello,

I might have missed this one, but is it possible in Slic3r to automatically compensate for the extrusion width?

Let me explain further. A cylinder which is drawn in CAD with an outer diameter of 10.0mm will be printed as a cylinder with diameter 10.4mm (my extrusion width is 0.4mm). Slic3r generates a tool path that follows exactly the outer contours of the STL file. Is there an option in Slic3r to automatically compensate for the extrusion width so the printed cylinder will have an outer diameter of 10.0mm?

I know I can change the CAD files but I rather keep them "clean" and not depending on my printer settings.

A friend of mine has a Zortrax M200 and he claims that he has such an option in the Zortrax software (I did not see it working myself yet).

Kind regards,
Barry
Re: Modify object size to compensate for extrustion width
March 06, 2017 07:26AM
Slic3r generates a tool path that follows the *centre* of the extrusion. So a cylinder with a diameter of 10mm printed with an extrusion width of 0.4mm will generate a tool path that describes a circle with diameter of 9.6mm (0.2mm in from the outside perimeter). The issue you are seeing is probably mainly due to the fact that the inside circumference of the extruded line is shorter than the outside circumference which results in the inside of the line being over-extruded and the outside under-extruded.

Slic3r does indeed have a feature that corrects for that. Look under "Print Settings">"Advanced" Under "Other" there is a field labelled "XY size compensation". See [manual.slic3r.org] for details However for best accuracy if you are making parts that need an exact fit is to adjust the diameter of the cylinder (or hole) in your CAD software by trial-an-error until the printed part is accurate.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login