Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the first layer in slic3r

Posted by 11edik11 
the first layer in slic3r
March 05, 2017 08:41AM
Hey guys. I have a question about the first layer in slic3r. why he has not sufficient extrusion? the width of the extrusion does not help. I need to print the model with the exact size in height, but with proper calibration the height of the perimeters do not touch each other. you have to hold the nozzle closer to the bed, and the size becomes smaller than necessary by approximately 0.1 mm. can increase the flow coefficient of the rod on the first layer?
Re: the first layer in slic3r
March 05, 2017 02:51PM
Many printers work fine with 1st layer extrusion width of 150-200%.
March 06, 2017 04:04AM
extrusion width does not help. perimeters still not in contact with each other
March 06, 2017 07:34AM
I doubt that the extrusion amount is incorrect - if it was, it would be wrong for all layers. It is far more likely that your nozzle is too far from the bed for the first layer. Setting the first layer height to something greater than the rest helps to reduce the effect (because the percentage error decreases for the same absolute error. e.g. if your layer height is 0.2mm, try setting first layer height of 0.4mm. As plastic flow is doubled, you will probably have to halve the print speed for the first layer.

Dave
March 08, 2017 03:52AM
As DMould suggested, your nozzle height may be set too high initially. To set it up before any printing is done do the following...
Heat the bed up to working temp and the hotend to around 180C.
Home the Z axis while laying a strip of 80gsm copy paper between the nozzle and print bed - you should feel it drag slightly to give the correct gap setting.

March 17, 2017 12:15PM
I understand, I have been printing for a year now. I can perfectly configure the first layer, but it's always less than necessary. For example, if in the settings the first layer is 0.2 mm, then in fact it is 0.1 mm, 0.3> 0.2 ... where 0.1 mm is lost (approximately)? This situation is also in other slicers.
March 17, 2017 12:33PM
11edik11
I understand, I have been printing for a year now. I can perfectly configure the first layer, but it's always less than necessary. For example, if in the settings the first layer is 0.2 mm, then in fact it is 0.1 mm, 0.3> 0.2 ... where 0.1 mm is lost (approximately)? This situation is also in other slicers.

The problem you have is that your Z homing is not accurate. Which means that the nozzle does not move to exactly at the height it is told to move to, but is a little higher or lower. Note that the bed must be perfectly level, otherwise the Z height cannot be accurate over the whole bed (unless your printer's controller has Z compensation, in which case that must be set up accurately.) Put a piece of copier paper under the (clean) nozzle and send "G1 Z0" The paper should be gripped by the nozzle so it is difficult to slide. Now send "G1 Z0.1" and the paper should no longer be gripped. If the paper can slide when Z=0, the nozzle is too high. If the paper is still gripped at Z=0.1, the nozzle is too low.

You can either set the Z height by hand before you print (move the nozzle down in very small steps (0.05mm or less) until a sheet of paper is *just* gripped, and send "G92 Z0"), or you can calibrate the Z height (usually means changing the trigger height in a configuration file). Read the manual for you printer to see haw to calibrate its Z position.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 12:34PM by dmould.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login