Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feature requestL Filament/Color change pause @layers #, #, #....

Posted by Replace 
Feature requestL Filament/Color change pause @layers #, #, #....
February 10, 2017 02:44PM
How abut this ?

While having the object loaded in Slic3r, ad a cut-like dialog, to jump to certain layers and insert a pause and home-x.
This gives the opportunity to change filament, without the burden of staying alert all the time not to miss the exact layer.

I often use color changes in my designs, which means I spend a lot of time in my garage.. waiting, setting approximate alarms, waiting again etc...
I think life would be better if Slic3r added pauses on request.

The home-x would be for drooping not on the object.

Please share some thoughts?
Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Feature requestL Filament/Color change pause @layers #, #, #....
February 10, 2017 06:42PM
This is an easy thing to do manually in the sliced gcode file using a text editor once you know which commands to use for your specific firmware.

In RepRapFirmware I use, at the point where I want to pause (you can search on G1 Z for the coordinate you want):

G1 X* Y* (whatever puts the nozzle where I want it)
M400
M226
M400

The M400s clear the buffer so the pause doesn't get out of order with the completion of other commands and should be supported in most firmwares, but a G4 is also an option if it doesn't work for you.

M226 is the pause command for RepRapFirmware. Most other firmwares don't support it. M25 may do for you. @pause might work if you're printing directly from Repetier Host.
February 10, 2017 08:13PM
IMBoring25
This is an easy thing to do manually in the sliced gcode file using a text editor once you know which commands to use for your specific firmware.

Right. But wouldn't it be a good feature?

a) Why should I have to resort to a text editor?
b) Why should I find out what the magic M-codes are to do this, for whatever printer I happen to use.

I note that Cura has a plugin to pause the print at specified layer(s).
February 11, 2017 03:55AM
I now sometimes do exactly what you suggert: edit the Gcode,
however: I often raise the nozzle when traveling, so... finding the layer is cumbersome.

There are many Z positions higher than the intended layer, even when processing lower layers.

So the feature would be better :-)

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
February 11, 2017 03:56AM
frankvdh
IMBoring25

Right. But wouldn't it be a good feature?

a) Why should I have to resort to a text editor?
b) Why should I find out what the magic M-codes are to do this, for whatever printer I happen to use.

I note that Cura has a plugin to pause the print at specified layer(s).

Thanks for supporting :-)

Fine for Cura users. So I want it too :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 03:56AM by Replace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login