Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All supports removed on import

Posted by Wugang 
All supports removed on import
February 03, 2017 05:10PM
I have a model of Phobos, a moon of Mars, to which I added supports in MeshMixer. The model looks like a potato and
has no errors before I add the support. When I inspect the mesh in MM after adding the support it has a large number of
magenta errors indicating small features. These are all associated with the added structures. It's a large mesh with 400k
triangles and I've scaled it to be about 100mm tall so at 2 or 3 mm diameter, the support pillars are indeed small compared
with the size of the model.

If I choose Repair All, in MeshMixer, the entire support structure is removed from the model, which is a bit disheartening.

When import the model into Slic3r as an .obj file, the repair process discovers around a million errors and similarly removes
all the support pillars.

I don't like the support that is added when I do it in Slic3r and there's no way of editing it there. I wonder if there is any way
around the repair process on importing files into the Plater?

I've successfully printed other objects which have similar support structures that were added in MeshMixer but this is all new to me.
Maybe someone can suggest another way to make support for a potato shaped object when printing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: All supports removed on import
February 04, 2017 03:23AM

Maybe someone can suggest another way to make support for a potato shaped object when printing?

Cut it in half and glue both parts together.

I don't know MeshMixer, but Netfabb-basic has solved all mesh-problems for me in the past.
Re: All supports removed on import
February 04, 2017 11:41AM
That's an embarrassingly simple solution, thanks.

Do you know what's the best MeshMaster forum to use for issues with MM?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login