Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modifier feature

Posted by dajay23D 
Modifier feature
January 30, 2017 06:18PM
Hello,

Does anyone in the states use the modifier feature? I searched online and i couldn't find anything besides a blog about a guy using it for his violin.

[slic3r.org]

There's a video on youtube, but it doesn't explain enough for me to implement it smoothly.

Here are my questions;

1. how do you align the part and the modifier in Slic3r. Seems the 2 doesn't ever want to align

2. Modifier doesn't seem to work in the vertical plane. The biggest use for the modifier for me at this time is i like to make countersink and counterbore holes. Since it's hard to print these holes and at the correct location, i'd like to make that area solid and match drill. If i had a U shaped bracket and a hole on 3 sides, i can only use the modifier on the flat surface and not the vertical. Or at least i couldn't make it to work that way.

3. I use SolidWorks, how have you create the modifier file? Or what's an easier approach. In the above blog, the person states they used a volume. I have no idea what he used to create that or how to use that in SolidWorks. To test the concept, i created a small plate w/ a hole in it. The modifier, i created w/ a cylinder extrusion. Theoretically, merging these 2 files would make the plate solid. This worked, but the cylinder doesn't align, but if i can align them, it'd work.

I get how it works, but i can't get it to work on my part! ha!
Re: Modifier feature
January 30, 2017 07:31PM
It took me a while to figure that one out myself. Your issue is a checkbox in the SolidWorks STL output options, something along the lines of "translate output into positive space.". That moves each STL so there are no negative coordinates and needs to be unchecked to retain the original (same for all parts) coordinate system.
January 30, 2017 09:54PM
Thanks!! I'm assuming your jus as boring on seemecnc? Haha.. jk!! What I meant to ask is if your the same as IMboring on seemecnc that also answered my question.

Anyways, thanks again!!
January 30, 2017 11:12PM
Guilty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login