Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Creating solid filled areas

Posted by MtRepRapxyz 
Creating solid filled areas
October 10, 2016 01:21PM
I would like to be able to create areas that are solid fill (to drill for attach points or shaft bearings) without having to solid fill the whole print. Does anyone have any ideas for how to do that?

Thanks
Matt
Re: Creating solid filled areas
October 10, 2016 11:48PM
Modifiers are 3D objects that overlap your main print and are used to define areas where different slicing parameters will be applied. Slic3r applies the different settings to the intersection of the main part and its modifiers. If you want to create a solid area where you're going to be applying a lot of compressive force on the print with a bolt or screw, draw a cylinder that is bigger than the hole in the print- if it's a 5 mm hole, draw a cylinder that is maybe 10-12 mm diameter centered on the axis of the hole. Its best do use a separate layers in the CAD file for the print and the modifiers. Export one STL file for the main part, and a separate STL file for the modifier. Then import the main print into slic3r and use the object properties menu to load the modifier. Apply the desired settings to the modifier and Bob's yer uncle.

I used to have a link to an on-line explanation of how to do it (and I've posted it here in the past) but I can't seem to locate it right now.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 19, 2016 07:11AM
Just for completeness.
[slic3r.org]
October 19, 2016 03:25PM
That's the link I couldn't find!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login