Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r generating wierd bridge?

Posted by blt3dp 
Slic3r generating wierd bridge?
September 27, 2016 11:45AM
I've designed this part, well modified this part in sketchup cause I didn't wanna redraw it in a cad program.
It's got a few legs drawn on it so that it doesn't have to bridge a large distance.

Using .2 as the layer height

At the height in the attached picture, it should bridge 1 layer complete across but it draws it about 60% of the way across and then fills in the other 40% seperately. I also expect that it would be perpendicular to the outer walls of the part, but it's like it's rotated about 10-20 degrees.
Attachments:
open | download - 20160927_072121.jpg (128.8 KB)
open | download - y-idler.stl (46.3 KB)
open | download - y-idler.skp (196.2 KB)
Re: Slic3r generating wierd bridge?
September 28, 2016 04:30PM
Blah, redrew it in CAD and its taken care of.

Guess regardless of how clean the model looks in Sketchup, it still exports garbage STL
Attachments:
open | download - fixed.jpg (44 KB)
September 28, 2016 06:34PM
SketchUp really is not for 3D printing.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 29, 2016 04:33PM
the_digital_dentist
SketchUp really is not for 3D printing.

don`t blame stuff when you don`t know why something does not work...

he just didn`t draw it correctly, just check the dimensions.

To get accurate Dimensions you have to enter the values like on other "real" cad programs, not draw the lines with the mouse.
when its done this way you get clean results from sketchup.

when drawing with only one deicmal place you may see a "~" sign when measuring again, thats the first hint for not accurate drawings.

Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
September 29, 2016 06:08PM
I can't say it was all me. I dunno, SketchUp does some wierd stuff. I'll never understand why I can draw a cube, and then a cylinder intersecting it. Intersect the face of the cube with the cylinder and all of a sudden the top of the cube drops triangles because SketchUp for some reason did it's little snap to thing as it intersected and now stuff's out of plane. You view hidden geometry and it's somehow made some wierd invisible triangle out into space that it was snapping to.
September 29, 2016 07:20PM
It's because in Sketchup, curves are always polygons. I'm not talking about what's displayed on the screen- I'm talking mathematically. You can only connect to a "curve" in sketchup at one of the polygon vertices. This is the main reason why SketchUp produces bad STL files that have to be repaired before you can print them. SketchUp is the only "CAD" software I know of that does this.

Other CAD packages will occasionally produce errors, but I have yet to see one that isn't automatically repaired by the slicer. SketchUp, on the other hand, frequently produces files that have such severe errors they can't be automatically repaired by the slicer and have to be run through NetFabb for repair before you can print them.

SketchUp is good for a lot of things, but 3D printing isn't one of them.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 30, 2016 12:12AM
FA-MAS
I can't say it was all me. I dunno, SketchUp does some wierd stuff. I'll never understand why I can draw a cube, and then a cylinder intersecting it. Intersect the face of the cube with the cylinder and all of a sudden the top of the cube drops triangles because SketchUp for some reason did it's little snap to thing as it intersected and now stuff's out of plane. You view hidden geometry and it's somehow made some wierd invisible triangle out into space that it was snapping to.

Sketchup tries to fix such tiny drawing error when the length is not 100% correct so you don`t get a real 100% plane cube surface, when you then let a cicrle intersect it, it"repairs" the cube surface generating that weired triangle`s.

It's because in Sketchup, curves are always polygons. I'm not talking about what's displayed on the screen- I'm talking mathematically. You can only connect to a "curve" in sketchup at one of the polygon vertices. This is the main reason why SketchUp produces bad STL files that have to be repaired before you can print them. SketchUp is the only "CAD" software I know of that does this.
Yeah because Sketchup is not a parametric program like other CAD software

You just have to care about some peculiarities to get good results (like some plugins) but thats also with other CAD software, otherwise all of them can be a pain in the a*s.

Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login