Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing thin short bridges

Posted by DrLex 
Printing thin short bridges
August 02, 2016 10:05AM
I am trying to print this bad boy, the digital sundial, more specifically the cleaned-up version. The material will be black ABS. I have dialed in my settings enough that the overall shape is well-printed, but the many tiny bridges are still problematic. In my first print I obviously used too narrow a perimeter width, and I didn't enable the fan. Most of the bridges were incomplete as a result. To find better print settings without wasting massive amounts of time and plastic, I created the attached small test object and tried to print it with different parameters. If this prints well, then so should the entire object.

By reverting to automatic perimeter width and enabling the fan, the tiny bridges are no longer interrupted, but they are still printed poorly. They often end up slanted either vertically, horizontally, or both. My attempts to tweak bridge speed and bridge extrusion ratio have so far resulted in 3 nearly identical poorly printed tests. I'll try to add a photo later on.

Does anyone have any general advice to help improving quality for this particular kind of print? It would probably be OK to use settings that cause some of the single-wire bridges to be omitted, as they cannot be crucial for the shadows anyway. Most important is that bigger bridges do not have their bottom-most parts pointing in random directions. If it is more sane to print the object at 0.2mm layer thickness, then I would be perfectly fine with that, if it is sufficiently accurate (the author recommends 0.1mm layers, but that may just be overly cautious).
Attachments:
open | download - ABridgeTooFar.stl (18.8 KB)
Re: Printing thin short bridges
August 02, 2016 01:29PM
Did you play with extrusion temperature ? I think it can make some noticeable difference to bridges result.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Re: Printing thin short bridges
August 03, 2016 06:22AM
Also try slowing the bridging speed to something really low (e.g. 20mm/s)

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login