Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I insert a Pause at certain layers ?

Posted by Replace 
Can I insert a Pause at certain layers ?
July 19, 2016 08:20AM
Can I insert a PAUSE in the Gcode at certain levels?

For instance, by making the pause conditional in the 'after layer' section ?

(f.i. "if layer equals 23: PAUSE" )

or by other means, not editing the gcode after slicing....
Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Can I insert a Pause at certain layers ?
July 19, 2016 11:19AM
Doing math with parameters and using if-then statements are currently not supported.
July 19, 2016 11:24AM
So, this could become a feature request .. maybe ?

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
July 20, 2016 07:38AM
Unless you are wanting to pause a very large number of times, what's the problem with editing the G-code file? You just load it into a text editor, search for the Z height you want to insert the pause (e.g. search for "Z2.5" if you want to pause at a height of 2.5mm), and put in the appropriate pause command then save. All done in literally seconds. I do this often when I want to change the colour at a certain layer - e.g. to print raised or embossed text.

Dave
July 20, 2016 01:42PM
Yes,

that is the alternative,
but last time I tried, the pause was called and resume was immediately called too..So I did miss the moment.

So what went wrong ? I will try again.

July 21, 2016 09:36AM
Sounds like you may be using the wrong command to pause. The command to use depends on your controller & firmware - what printer is it for and what command are you used to pause it? Maybe write a simple bit of G-code to move the head about without extruding and try various pause command methods.

Dave
July 21, 2016 10:46AM
I am running Repetier firmware on repetier host.

Can't find a repetier supported pause command in the reprapwiki on Gcode

July 21, 2016 11:13PM
I believe the note not to use M25 in a gcode file is for RepRapFirmware and that's actually the correct command for a Repetier machine. It might work better with an M400 before and after it (which waits for current moves to finish and clears the read-ahead buffer).

If you're not running the print off the SD card (though I generally recommend doing so), you can handle a pause through Repetier-Host by inserting @pause.

This is apparently a feature to which they've been doing some changes in the more-recent versions of Repetier firmware.
July 22, 2016 04:27AM
Yesterday I ran a modified Gcode with M226 at the required level.

It never paused. It just ran all the way to the end.
I posted a question in the Repetier forum, maybe there is the solution, as it is a repetier issue in my case :-)

I am not running from SD, but from the repetier host on Windows10

So you mean I can put the string @pause in the Gcode ?

July 22, 2016 07:41AM
As has been said, use the command M25 for Repetier. I advise you to run from SD card, which will prevent jerky movements if the communication is delayed due to Windows getting temporarily hung up with background tasks etc.

Dave
August 22, 2016 10:50AM
I have been testing with the @Pause command.

This is exactly what I needed. I home the X before so no droop on the object. Thanks.

Now.... it would be nice to know when that moment has arrived.
So my thoughts are to sound an external alarm when @Pause is triggered.

Any way to achieve someting like that ? Shorting a switch somewhere so that switch can power my alarm that is far away by wire ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login