Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer backward move drags back printed line

Posted by uladz 
First layer backward move drags back printed line
June 22, 2016 03:56PM
Guys, can anyone advise on what to do in the following case. I print a square pattern. Slic3r for some reason creates a print head path when after laying each square line it would move the head in opposite direction from the last laid out line, which causes the head to pill off and drag back the very end (tail) of the last printed line. See attached picture that explain the problem better. I was looking for an option that to prevent such opposite to the last printed direction moves but it does not exist. Any ideas how to fix it? I have tried changing the first layer temp, width, height - getting the same problem with some level of variations.

Re: First layer backward move drags back printed line
June 23, 2016 07:21AM
Your root problem is insufficient bed adhesion rather than the print path. Possible solutions are to increase bed temperature for 1st layer, increase 1st layer height but decrease Z zero height slightly to "squish" the plastic against the bed, or use a better bed material. Coating the bed with an ABS/acetone solution or solvent cement (as used to join plastic pipes) works well for me.

Dave
June 23, 2016 02:03PM
dmould
Your root problem is insufficient bed adhesion rather than the print path. Possible solutions are to increase bed temperature for 1st layer, increase 1st layer height but decrease Z zero height slightly to "squish" the plastic against the bed, or use a better bed material. Coating the bed with an ABS/acetone solution or solvent cement (as used to join plastic pipes) works well for me.
Dave

Thank you Dave for the the suggestion. Yes, I've bumped temperature to 105C and re-coated the bed with fresh layer of glue and it seems to print the first layer much better. And I like the idea of "squishing" the plastic with Z height change, will try it on the next print.
June 24, 2016 07:08AM
uladz
And I like the idea of "squishing" the plastic with Z height change, will try it on the next print.
It results in a "lip" around the edges of the base of the print, but in most cases this is easily filed off afterwards.

Dave
June 24, 2016 12:57PM
dmould
It results in a "lip" around the edges of the base of the print, but in most cases this is easily filed off afterwards.
Hey, it worked pretty well, the first layer was laid down nicely. Also I have increased extruder temp for the first layer a bit.
Now fighting the warping problem, I have a print that goes for 12h, after ~6h horners of my square a lifting up. I'm using glue stick for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login