Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Too much filament extruded

Posted by Tom-E 
Too much filament extruded
May 16, 2016 04:08PM
I'm running mad getting my prusa i3 set up. I've already callibrated the extruder and all axxis, as well as the heatbed. Now, when I start printing, say a simple cylinder, the first few layers look good, but then to much filament is pushed out, so that the nozzle of the extruder dips into the already printed part and shifts the material out of the way.

I am using Renkforce PLA, 1.75mm with a recommended temperature between 190-220°C.My layer heigth is set to 0.2mm as well as the first layer height.

When I set the filament diameter to the correct value that I've meassured, the above issue builds up. When I set it to, say 2.5mm the result is much better.

I'll be gratefull for any kind of hint, what I'm doing wrong. Is there a depending parameter that is probably wrong?

Best regards,
Tom-E
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0260_2.jpg (19.5 KB)
Re: Too much filament extruded
May 16, 2016 04:48PM
I will take it you are comfortable with your extrusion width calibration - using a single walled shape.

So - this might be a known bug in Slic3r. See Here.

Also, some Slic3r tutorials here.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
May 18, 2016 06:44PM
Links to model and gcode file?
June 06, 2016 07:49AM
You have couple of posibilities here:

1.- you extruding is not completely calibrated. If you didnt, follow calibration steps detailed by tomas in youtube (2 videos, 1 general calibration and 1 detailed calibration)
2- there is a know bug in the official latest release of slic3r, wich will over extrude gap fills. Check in your configuration and put gap fill speed to CERO, that will diseble gap filling. And print again to check results.
3- if you are useing PLA, the re is a posibility that your filament has too much humidity. That will make that while printing, steam accumulates inside the melting chamber, pushing plastic to the outside, and so makeing an overextrusion effect: plastic is comeing ut when it shouldnt and is comening out in an excesive way when it should. This is really noticeable in printing of 0.2 layer height, and that is why when you increase the height the printing is better. To check this, heat your extruder to printing temp, extrude soma PLA and stop and watch if the plastic keeps comeing out. no more than 1 mm should come out once you stopped extrudeing.

Hope it helps
June 06, 2016 08:00AM
Also ensure that the printer is being set into the same relative/absolute extrusion mode as Slic3r. If the printer is set up for relative extrusion moves (M83) but Slic3r is set for absolute moves, it will rapidly begin to over-extrude.

Dave
June 07, 2016 08:11PM
Are you sure about this? becasue the setting in slic3r would override the setting of the printer if this wuld be case.
June 08, 2016 08:34AM
Tinchus
Are you sure about this? becasue the setting in slic3r would override the setting of the printer if this wuld be case.

Unless the later Slic3r versions generate M82 or M83 commands automatically, Slic3r has no control over the extrusion mode of the printer - that is set in the custom start code or the printer's default mode. So you must set Slic3r and the printer separately to use either absolute or relative extrusion modes.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login