Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

first layer not sticking sometimes.

Posted by davidf01 
first layer not sticking sometimes.
April 19, 2016 09:14PM
When I start a print using PLA at 190 and the printing plate at 60 I get the first layer not always sticking. It starts
out fine but when the print head changes position from one part of the print to another part and starts to print again, I
get the first 20 mm or so not sticking then it prints fine again. What settings can I adjust to see what the issue is?

Thanks
Re: first layer not sticking sometimes.
April 19, 2016 11:25PM
Is the bed level and flat? How big is the extruder nozzle and what is the first layer thickness? Have you zeroed the Z axis? What is the bed surface you're printing on?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 21, 2016 03:13AM
Sounds like bed is not level.

Also be aware in Printer Settings/Advanced - Extrusion Width. There is as setting for extrusion width for first layer. Adjusting this you can get better adhesion.
April 27, 2016 03:23PM
There are some tips here.

Edit: Some of those tips are applicable especially with Slic3r, and some are ABS specific (concerning temperatures and materials).

Triffid's guide also has some good tips.

Certainly first layer height calibration is critical - the first layer should measure what you have calibrated it to be.

I'm surprised that I have not been able to find a guide specific for first layer adhesion on the Wiki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 03:40PM by Paul Wanamaker.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
June 07, 2016 08:14PM
Check all points mentioned. Also, I print useing hair spray and lately im printing over kapton tape only, with really perfect results. What I have found is that I see the problem you have after some prints. The solution to me was cleaning the kapton surface before starting useing acetone, thta leaves a perfect clean surfece and I can tell the different right away. Sometime Im lazy... and after 2 prints I see the same probem you are havening
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login