Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Estimated Time to Print

Posted by Kurzaa 
Estimated Time to Print
April 09, 2016 11:51PM
Recently started using Slic3r 1.2.9 directly, cutting out the Repetier Host middle man. I can see the length of filament used in mm, total height, etc..., but was wondering if their was a way to estimate the time to print the file?
Re: Estimated Time to Print
April 10, 2016 12:28PM
Slic3r doesn't know your jerk and acceleration settings, so it can't make a good guess. I wrote a macro that builds an estimate from the gcode assuming instantaneous acceleration and it usually takes 50 to 100% more time than that estimate on my Mendel using 3D Honeycomb infill.
April 11, 2016 07:49AM
To estimate the time manually, do the following:

(1) Print any object and time how long it takes in seconds
(2) Look at the amount of filament used for that object (given at end of G-code file)
(3) Divide (1) by (2) and save that figure as you printer's average print speed (in seconds per mm)
(4) To get a time estimate for another print, multiply the filament used length for that print by the figure you got in (3)

This will give a reasonably accurate approximation for most prints, so long as they use the same Slic3r settings as the "calibration print" you used in (1)

The time will be inaccurate if the print is significantly different in nature - e.g. having more than average non-printing moves, or a high percentage printed at a different speed for bridging etc.

Dave
April 11, 2016 04:37PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
April 12, 2016 08:44AM
It is just more easy an accurate to do this: export your gcode as always, an load it into repetier host. It will give you and estimate. It is usually inside 10/20% accurate.
April 12, 2016 04:04PM
Is there a way to influence the Repetier Host's calculation ?

I have the same problem. Repetier states that the print will take 2 hours, as it actually is 3 or more...... way more than 20%
So my local variables are not taken into the calculations right.

Can I add a percentage to a repetier of Slic3r parameter to fix this after calibration prints ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 04:04PM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
April 14, 2016 06:45PM
For printers using RepRapFirmware, you can use the M37 command to run a simulation to get an accurate print time. The simulation does all the usual calculations so it takes into account the machine settings and the effects of lookahead. One day I'll get round to running background simulations of files on the SD card when the printer isn't busy and storing the print times.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login