Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r config file version compatibility

Posted by christopherw 
Slic3r config file version compatibility
April 04, 2016 01:14PM
Dear, since this is my first post on the forum, a very short introduction: I'm successfully gaining knowledge about and 3D printing for almost a year with a Fabtotum. I studied aerospace engineering and am employed as test engineer in the space industry.

Most of the time I'm slicing my objects with slic3r which I appreciate the most. After I managed to fix my issues with my computer I installed the latest version of Slic3r (version 1.2.9).

While trying to import my older config files I noticed they can't be loaded. Does anybody know an easy way to get these old files imported?

Next to the above main issue; Is there a method to create a config file based on the footer of a gcode file?
Re: Slic3r config file version compatibility
April 04, 2016 04:41PM
Slic3r 1.2.9 did import my old config files. But for about 6 months I was unable to use slic3r because it kept crashing. It only became usable last week when I deleted the entire slic3r settings folder and started again.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 05, 2016 02:18AM
Thanks dc42, this evening I will give it a try.

Yesterday I successfully managed(manually so it took a while) to write a config file in such manner that slic3r won't crash on import.

Unfortunately it didn't pick most of the settings I wrote, so maybe your suggestion will help to fix this.
April 09, 2016 11:20AM
Well after fidling around with import, export back and fort it is a bit of a strugle.

There are several conditions to meet if you want persisting settings on importing them.
- you should have run the configuration wizard once
- imported settings should contain three sections as a minimum (filament, print, printer)

You can load settings manually by copying files splitted for each section into a dedicated file and paste them in the appropriate folders in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\slic3r\

If importing is working/ new settings are available to select but selections are not persisting you have to edit the slic3r file manually in the same folder as referenced above.

Somehow the hole settings part of the software seems to be quite weak. Lets hope for a more rigid update
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login