Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small Diameter Pillars come out horrible

Posted by lboucher 
Small Diameter Pillars come out horrible
March 14, 2016 08:09PM
So, when my print has small diameter pillars, they tend to come out all malformed.
They generally work, but look like junk.

I am using Slic3r.
I see the small diameter setting under speed, but that is just for diameters of less than 6.5 mm.
If i am printing a part with just 1 tower, and it slows down due to the cooling settings, it comes out fine.
I only have an issue in a print like the attached, where it has lots of other features, so its moving really fast when it does the small diameter pillars.

A typical place where this is an issue is where i have holes for screws. The one side is a small diameter pillar.
See attached red circled areas.

How do i get it to slow down so the pillars come out OK?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20160313_194406420_HDR_Smaller.jpg (593.5 KB)
Re: Small Diameter Pillars come out horrible
March 14, 2016 09:26PM
Try reducing acceleration and/or jerk- that will force it to run a little slower when printing short segments like those where you're having trouble.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 15, 2016 08:41AM
I think the lifted corner is due to warping rather than the bed not being level. Exclude all draughts from the printer and/or increase the room temperature if possible. It also appears that either you have a bit of play in the mechanics (e.g. loose belts or bearings), or your nozzle is not exactly vertical or has a defect or some debris on one side of the tip, which is causing the rough banding in some places - probably at places where the print direction is different to the other layers. The issue with the tower could also be due to loose mechanics, but it is also likely that it is caused by overheating when the hot nozzle stays close to the same place for a long time. That is easiest fixed by adding one or two sacrificial columns to the build plate at a distance from the problem area, making the columns at least as tall as the print. Dark filaments suffer more than light coloured filaments from that effect (because they absorb more radiated heat from the nozzle).

Dave
March 15, 2016 06:13PM
Good thoughts.

That picture was taken through the window of an enclosure. The enclosure gets up to 35-45C. Don't want to go much hotter as the steppers and arduino are in their. If it sticks to the bed well enough I generally don't get much warping.

I do think my nozzel can lean back and forth based on direction of travel, so that needs fixed. I'm going to do some experimental printing and will post back with results.
March 19, 2016 12:19PM
So there were 2 details I forgot to mention.
1. I am using filament I made, so the diameter isn't perfect, but its not bad either.
2. That print was accidentally done with like 7 perimeters which made it 100% infill for most of the way.

So i did a small diameter pillar test at the same speeds and same heat, and it came out near perfect.

Then i did the same print i had the problem with, but with 2 perimeters and 25% infill.
Came out perfect.
So what must have happened is all the long continuous extruding caused excess extrude pressure buildup that never had a chance to be relieved until it went to the small diameter pillar. At which point it was able to ooze out all the extra filament and relieve the pressure, causing the small diameter pillar to look like junk.
Attachments:
open | download - 20 Percent Infill_small.jpg (607.6 KB)
open | download - Origin 100 percent infill_Small.jpg (592.1 KB)
open | download - Small Pillar Test_small.jpg (545.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login