Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting to fix pocking

Posted by lboucher 
Setting to fix pocking
February 28, 2016 03:23PM
Hi All

So I am trying to figure out how to fix "pocking"
By this, I mean the small pockets that are created when the print head transitions to/from the external perimeter to/from the internal perimeter.
What I am seeing is that when the transition happens, it happens 0.5 mm too soon and there is a small void area left in the external perimeter.
This results in a noticeable seam if your seam is aligned. If your seam is random, you get a bunch of small pockets disturbed along the side surface. They are structurally insignificant but don't look the best.

Its probably cause by a bit of backlash in my setup.
I was thinking a slic3r setting that would help, would be to allow the user to set a # of mm to overlap on the external perimeter.
Basically when it gets to the end of the external perimeter, go an additional 0.5 mm, in my case.
This should reduce the amount of missing material.

You can see the defect in a single layer in the picture below.

Thoughts? Any chance this already exists in slic3r or can be added?

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Pocking.PNG (566.2 KB)
Re: Setting to fix pocking
February 28, 2016 08:38PM
Slic3r does that deliberately- the start of a layer is slightly inside the perimeter and the end moves back inside again. That prevents blobs from forming on the surface at layer start/stop points. You may be able to improve its appearance by accurate calibration of the extruder and tweaking retraction settings.

This is what it looks like when things are well-tweaked and the seam is "aligned":

'

The tips of the cones are 2mm in diameter.
If you use the "random" setting, it will spread the start stop points throughout the print surface

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 29, 2016 09:05PM
Yeah, that's how mine look.
It can't be made any better?

Not sure what retraction setting could make this better.... At least without reducing the retraction, which by definition means blobs/leaks...
March 05, 2016 06:11PM
I think that's as good as it gets. You're either going to get a blob or a "pock". A pock won't interfere with parts fitting together, a line of blobs will, so the pock is preferred. You can use the random option to scatter them all over the print so they aren't so obvious.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 07, 2016 06:57AM
the_digital_dentist
I think that's as good as it gets. You're either going to get a blob or a "pock". A pock won't interfere with parts fitting together, a line of blobs will, so the pock is preferred.

OTOH a blob is quickly and easily removed with a needle file, while it is difficult to fill a pock - so it really depends on the shape and function as to what is preferable.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login