Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird behavior or jst my incompetence: layers missing...

Posted by peroz 
Weird behavior or jst my incompetence: layers missing...
February 14, 2016 05:02PM
I started playing with my printer and wanted to print a new extruder body to accomodate the E3D v6 hot end. When I load the model, it shows fine in the "3D" tab, but is missing some layers in "preview". Prints also go bad. It does this for downloaded STL and for exported from Sketchup.

This is what it looks like:

The preview is fine:

This is the thing: [www.thingiverse.com]

What can I do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2016 05:08PM by peroz.
Re: Weird behavior or jst my incompetence: layers missing...
February 14, 2016 06:14PM
I would suspect it's non-manifold but can't tell from my phone. Load it into Slic3r and look in the lower right corner of the window. If it says NO after Manifold:, you'll need to load it into some software package with STL repair capability first. There is a version of netfabb available that is free for personal use that has this capability.
February 15, 2016 02:56AM
Think I've found a solution. Have to print it to see if it really is that great, but preview looks beautiful. smiling smiley
Clicked the "split" button in an attempt to see what happens with supports and to move a piece around, and the preview drew the piece fine. Can't wait to test print it this evening.
February 17, 2016 01:14AM
Make sure to look at it in layer view, layer by layer.
Note that Sketchup is noted for making terrible objects for 3d printing.

After you get it the way you want in Slicer, then use the Export STL button on the right (I can't recall exactly what it's called) then you will have a version that has the fixes that slic3r has done, positioned as you want it.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login