Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS adhesion to PVA support

Posted by Flybye 
ABS adhesion to PVA support
February 08, 2016 06:33PM
Hello,

I am trying to print a model that needs support and I am using PVA for the support. 98% of my 1st layer of the model is going over the PVA support. My problem is that the model edges are curling and will not adhere to the PVA. Has anyone figured out how to correct for this situation? Please see attached pic.

Specifics: Davinci 2.0 (dual extruders), with Repetier firmware, slic3r. 1.75 Candy Yellow extruder temp 225c, and PVA extruder temp 185c

I have searched all over and have not found a remedy.
Thank you In advance for any assistance.
Attachments:
open | download - abs-pva.jpg (569.1 KB)
Re: ABS adhesion to PVA support
February 08, 2016 08:47PM
I don't think the problem is adhesion- it's ABS warping. In order to successfully print ABS you need a warm (45C+), enclosed build chamber. Make sure you disable the print cooling fan if there is one. The mechanical force produced by the shrinking plastic (ABS) as it cools is very large. You could try adding a brim for the ABS portion of the print...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 08, 2016 10:04PM
Unfortunately, I've seen very little in the way of reports of ABS and PVA adhering to each other. I've not found anything that works on my machine.

PVA and PLA are compatible but then you're modeling in PLA and missing out on ABS's mechanical properties.

ABS and PLA are compatible but it takes some pretty nasty chemicals to selectively dissolve the PLA.

I have had some success with PETG over PVA.
February 09, 2016 07:40AM
I print ABS successfully without a heated chamber. You do need a heated bed that can reach 110 deg C or so, and disable the cooling fan. I have never used PVA and have no idea how well ABS will stick to it - it may well be unsuitable to use as a base as you are doing. Instead of using a support over such a large base area, consider cutting off the protrusion that I assume prevents you printing directly on the bed, then print that protrusion as a separate part and bond it to the main part using acetone. Acetone dissolves ABS and will provide a chemical weld that is stronger than the normal layer bonds.

Dave
February 09, 2016 01:13PM
Thank you all for the advise (and not mentioning the pva/abs error in my original post) I will try your suggestions report the results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login