Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration Infill

Posted by yann44 
Calibration Infill
January 06, 2016 04:11AM
Hi,

I'm trying to calibrate my Smartcore folowing this instructions: [reprap.org]

- It says "Set infill solidity to 1.0 for this, using linear infill. In Pronterface/Skeinforge settings, this can be found under Craft > Fill." but I don't know where is this paramter in Slic3r.
Is it Print Settings > Advanced > Infill ?

- And what about "Infill Width over Thickness" parameter, I can't find something like this in Slic3r

Thanks for your help.

Yann
Re: Calibration Infill
January 06, 2016 08:45AM
"Print Settings">Infill">"Fill Density" for the first and "Print Settiongs">"Advanced">"Extrusion Width">"Infill" for the second.

Dave
January 07, 2016 10:11AM
Thanks Dave !
January 07, 2016 03:26PM
Based on this I have started revising that section, and added in the first setting for Slic3r.

However, there is odd stuff there that I do not understand as I don't use Skeinforge, and the methodology does not match the way things are done in slic3r.

Print the cube and analyze the top. If there is NOT ENOUGH plastic (a concave top), reduce the Infill Width over Thickness by .05 increments. If there is TOO MUCH plastic (convex top), turn that parameter up by .05 increments. In Pronterface/Skeinforge settings, this can be found either in Craft > Inset in some versions, or Craft > Fill in other versions.

Once you're feeling close, start bumping it around in smaller increments.

You may also need to adjust your feed rate.

Adjust the feed rate by increments of 2 or so until you feel close. If it looks really disgusting and blobby, go by increments of 0.5mm. Then go by smaller and smaller increments until you've nailed it. Although you probably just want to decrease Infill Width over Thickness instead of decreasing Feedrate because lowering feedrate will degrade the resolution.

Can anyone translate how this would be done in Slic3r, and let's discuss if that's a good way to do it? It doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks!

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
January 08, 2016 07:18AM
"Feed rate" would be analogous to Slic3r's "Extrusion multiplier" ("Filament Settings">"Filament")

Dave
January 08, 2016 01:44PM
Thanks Dave.

Over the next while I am going to be researching how to improve the Calibration page, I'm not at all happy with it.

Triffid's guide is very good in many ways, (note also it's more Slic3r centric), but still could be improved (although I don't feel comfortable changing it much, it's named after all). The real issue for both of these pages is the extruder calibration section - the method for rough e-steps calibration is OK, but I'm not happy with the techniques after that.

There are quite different opinions about how extruder calibration should be done, and that's good, there should be a debate, and more than one technique could be described (or linked to). However a bigger problem is describing how to calibrate extrusion using multiple different slicers who's terms and features are entirely different. As it is, an extruder calibration guide using a slicer you're not using is less than useless.

I might propose to the admins that Calibration link to separate Extruder Calibration pages for each slicer. Explaining each step for each slicer on the same page would be unreadable. Those familiar with a particular slicer could update that slicer's page.

Where I'm coming from: I'm interested in calibration in general, and I've begun testing a suite of test generators I've been working on for Interactive/Guided Calibration. These do not focus on a specific slicer, rather they focus on determining (in sequence) the best: extrusion temperature, extrusion multiplier, speed, perimeter acceleration, retraction distance, x/y/z jerk, etc. using either multiple objects, or test towers, varying the particular parameter being calibrated.
January 11, 2016 09:11AM
IMO the best technique is the following:

Print a solid cube with 4 solid base layers and 90% rectilinear infill.

After the last solid base layer has printed (layer 4), pause the print and examine the layer with a lens. If there are any gaps whatsoever between the lines of infill, you are under-extruding.

Continue the print for another 4 layers with it printing at 90% infill. Stop the print and examine the infill with a lens. There should be very small gaps between the infill extrusions. If there are no gaps you are over-extruding.

You could use a camera close-up instead of a lens. Choose filament colour and lighting to provide the best contrast. One method for getting excellent contrast is to change the filament between black & white just before it gets to the layer you are going to examine.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login