Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z-Axis Opposite

Posted by LdyMox 
Z-Axis Opposite
December 23, 2015 09:19AM
I am working with a modded Solidoodle 2 w/ a L-Cheapo 3.8 W laser. Anyways....does anyone know how I can get the Z-axis to go UP instead of DOWN each layer in Slic3R? If needed I would even be willing to do some coding, but I don't know where to start and I haven't found any setting to allow me to do this as of yet.

Tammy
Solidoodle2 w/E3Dv5 Hot End
Re: Z-Axis Opposite
December 23, 2015 12:17PM
How about simply reversing the Z stepper motor wires? You will have to home Z by hand at the start of the print of course.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 12:17PM by dmould.
December 23, 2015 02:35PM
Thanks; Hmm I suppose that is an option , I was hoping for a way via the software or with doing some extra coding. Maybe I should make a script that takes all the Z values and flips them somehow. Guess time to examine my G-code very carefully.

Tammy
Solidoodle2 w/E3Dv5 Hot End
December 23, 2015 06:38PM
It's strange that your firmware wouldn't already be set up to be compatible with normal coordinate system conventions. You can build a post-processing script that would change the Z coordinates as Slic3r generates them to generate the Z coordinates you need to make the machine behave as you'd like. It would really be more correct to change the machine so it works in a traditional way. Unless you move the endstop to the opposite end while you flip the Z motor, you'll have to edit the firmware anyway. You might as well just invert the Z motor, switch the MIN/MAX state of the end stop, and change the Z offset in the firmware and call it a day.
December 24, 2015 02:05AM
You mean you want to invert the direction of the z axis? You should be able to do that in the firmware, depending on which one you are using but shouldn't be too different.
December 24, 2015 10:53AM
chngyian
You mean you want to invert the direction of the z axis? You should be able to do that in the firmware, depending on which one you are using but shouldn't be too different.

Just as easy in most cases to just reverse the wires.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login