Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Script to turn bed off 10 mins prior to finished print

Posted by tonyallen28 
Script to turn bed off 10 mins prior to finished print
December 15, 2015 08:48PM
Looking for help making a script that turns the heat bed off aprox. 10 mins before the print finishes. That way I can easily pop it off the bed. If unable to do this based off of time then turning the bed off at a certain layer could work as well. Maybe this is a setting somewhere that I overlooked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Script to turn bed off 10 mins prior to finished print
December 15, 2015 09:19PM
Part of me wants to say "what's the rush?" Another part of me want's to say: "hmmm, interesting problem".

Tonight the first part wins...

I don't know, manually edit the gcode and insert an M140 S0 command near the end of the file...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 10:38PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 15, 2015 09:38PM
After reading through a lot of the posts looks like what is needed is conditional statements implemented in the Custom G-Code section. ex: IF [layer_num] == XXX THEN M140 S0

However until that is implemented looks like I will be doing it manually like the_digital_dentist suggested.
December 16, 2015 05:40AM
I am tempted to add this facility to RepRapFirmware, because at the end of a print, my heated bed takes about 20 minutes to cool down sufficiently for me to release the print from the PEI sheet.

My current solution is to use a float glass print bed (with PEI on top) clipped to the aluminium bed plate. When the print finishes, I unclip the glass and stand it vertically in a plate rack, so that it cools down much faster. If the print won't release easily, I put it in the fridge. Meanwhile, if I want to start another print immediately, I put another glass plate on the bed plate.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 16, 2015 11:58AM
One issue is that if you turn off the heat a bit too early, the print may detach before it has completed - thus ruining maybe a 5 hour print job and wasting filament for the sake of saving 20 minutes.

If I'm in a hurry I just take off the plate and put it under a running tap ...

Dave
December 21, 2015 07:47AM
I thought that swappable glass plates (using thermal silicone pads for ease) was the fix for all this.

I learned that cooling to fast can chip the glass, so I just let it cool room temp.
December 21, 2015 07:54PM
Maybe the problem isn't killing heat before the print finishes, but speeding up the cooling process. It would be easy to add custom gcode to the end of a file to switch on fans that blow room temp air across the bed after the print has finished.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 21, 2015 10:52PM
Maybe some larger fans you turn on when the print is done to cool the print bed faster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login