Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

width of the extrusion path

Posted by MattenMax 
width of the extrusion path
November 01, 2015 11:17AM
Hello,
I am trying to find out a good setting for the width of extrusions.

There is a setting "extrusion width" but also a setting "extrusion multiplier", which have more less similar effects to the width of the extrusion path.
I own a Prusa i3 with nozzle diameter of 0.4 and 1.75m filament.
My actual settung of the "extrusion multiplier" is 0.75. I changed it, because of too wide single walls print tests.

My question now, is this the correct way, or better change the setting "extrusion width"?

BTW, I made all the necessary calibrations, extruder and motor steps.

Thanks in advance,
Matten
Re: width of the extrusion path
November 01, 2015 02:30PM
Width of extrusions is normally set by the slicer. You specify the number of perimeters or shells and let the slicer figure out where to set the extrusion width. If you need thicker walls, use more perimeters.

The extrusion multiplier affects all extrusion. It is best to leave it at 1. It should have been set to 1 when you calibrated the extruder. The extrusion multiplier can be adjusted on the fly to correct for over or under extrusion that will result from using gcode that was sliced for a different diameter filament.

When you slice you specify the filament diameter you're going to use for printing. The manufacturer sold you 1.75mm filament, but it is never exactly that size. It isn't round, either- it is oval. Measure the filament at 20-30 places and calculate the average value of the diameter and use that value when you slice.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 01, 2015 04:03PM
I adjusted the extrusion multiplier, as a result of this calibration instruction.
The single wall should be 0.4mm (same as nozzle diameter), but it was something around 0.65.
That's why I searched a way to adjust the extrusion width.

Setting "extrusion width" or "extrusion multiplier", which setting should be adjusted?

My filament is more less 1.75mm.
November 02, 2015 08:50AM
Increasing the extrusion multiplier will increase the width of the extrusions without affecting their position. Changing the extrusion width will also increase the width, but this time the paths will be different. e.g. with the extrusion width set to 0.5mm, each line of solid infill will be exactly 0.5mm apart. Increasing the multiplier will not affect that. If however you increase the extrusion width to, say, 0.6mm, the solid infill lines will be further apart (so if your problem is under-extrusion causing gaps between the solid infill lines, it will not help)

Dave
November 02, 2015 10:13AM
Have you calibrated your extruder? Does it feed 100mm of filament if you ask for 100mm? You may need to adjust your extruder steps in the printer firmware if not.
November 02, 2015 10:22AM
MattenMax
My filament is more less 1.75mm.

You have to start from a known base line before you start messing with the variables. More or less 1.75mm makes a big difference in the stuff you're getting into. Extruder calibration and tweaking of extrusion widths is pointless if you don't use the measured filament diameter. Differences of a few 1/100ths of a mm in filament diameter will have a visible effect in the print. If you want consistent, predictable results, fudge-factor tweaks such as extrusion multiplier are to be left at their defaults and the measured filament diameter should be used. If you don't use the actual filament diameter, you won't get the extrusion width you set in the slicer. Garbage in- garbage out. It's that simple.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 02, 2015 04:31PM
Sounds interesting!
I have learnd that there is actually a big differnce between the setting "extrusion multiplier" and "extrusion width".
With my actual setting 0.75 for the multiplier, I have no goog connection between infill and perimeters (gaps)...
It is clear now, why.

The extruder is already calibrated, so I am going to re-measure the filament.

Thank you folks for your helpful answers!
Matten
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login