Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r crashing all the time (1.2.9)

Posted by shadowphile 
slic3r crashing all the time (1.2.9)
September 05, 2015 08:07PM
Anybody else have this problem on Win7-64?
thanks
Re: slic3r crashing all the time (1.2.9)
September 06, 2015 05:17AM
Yes, I do. Sometimes it produces a "Free to wrong pool" message when it crashes, which I have reported on github.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 06, 2015 02:55PM
ok thanks. is that in a log someware?
September 06, 2015 03:00PM
See [github.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 08, 2015 08:53AM
I've just spent a frustrating time trying to slice two very simple parts. Slic3r 1.29 crashes every time, sometimes as soon as I load slic3r, sometimes when loading the parts, and sometimes when rotating one of them. Eventually I turned off background processing, then I got that part rotated. But as soon as I tried to export gcode, slic3r crashed again. Altogether it's crashed on me about 20 times.

I prefer to use open source software, but slic3r has become unusable for me. Cura doesn't support relative extrusion, and I recently found some bugs in gcode it produced. So I've bitten the bullet and purchased Simplify3D, based on the recommendation of a number of users of it on these forums.

Does anyone know how I can get the forum software to stop flagging to me that there is a new post in the slic3r subforum?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 02:18PM by dc42.

September 09, 2015 07:55AM
Go here and turn off the emails:
[forums.reprap.org]

Mine only crashes, sometimes, when loading a new part after working on an old part. Closing slic3r and re-opening, then loading the part, works.

I too bought S3D, but am holding off using it till I find out if I can just use slic3r. Don't really want to be using multiples of anything, and, S3D does not run on my old xp box so I'd need a different box.
December 04, 2015 10:51AM
I am running Win10 and the slic3r crashes very happily all the time. Sometime when I drag the first item on the 2D plate, sometimes when I add same item to print multiple copies. I used it extensively for 4 years now, but it is getting difficult to live with. There are no messages or warnings. Just disappears from the desktop. I am thinking about moving on...
December 04, 2015 01:16PM
otas
I am running Win10 and the slic3r crashes very happily all the time. Sometime when I drag the first item on the 2D plate, sometimes when I add same item to print multiple copies. I used it extensively for 4 years now, but it is getting difficult to live with. There are no messages or warnings. Just disappears from the desktop. I am thinking about moving on...

I got so fed up with slic3r crashing under Win7 x64 (and now Win10 x64 as well) that it finally persuaded me to shell out about £100 for a Simplify3D license. I hate the way that S3D manages multiple printers, and it's missing the "Small perimeters" modifier that slic3r has; but apart from those, it's been working well for me.

December 04, 2015 07:44PM
Thanks Dave for sharing your wisdom! I think I will follow your route. Right now, must not speak too soon, slic3r is behaving!
January 01, 2016 08:02AM
I got the same issue. Tried many different settings and found, that when I use some settings (which I need for my print) with 64bit version 1.2.9 of slicer it will crash. If i use 32bit version of slicer 1.2.9. i works perfectly. Just use 32bit version instead of 64 bit.
(NOTE: Yes I have 64 bit computer and 64bit win7)
January 01, 2016 09:14AM
I used to have problems with Slic3r crashing when I ran multiple threads for slicing. I haven't had any more problems since I reduced the threads to 1.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 15, 2016 09:11AM
I was having same issues. 1.2.9 was crashing regardless of setup, slicing at Generate G-code etc.
But then I killed the Skype process that was consuming definitely too much for an application that was supposed to be working in background - and voila. No problems with slicing since then.
Please check if having a bare system will help you anyhow (no additional and not needed applications running in the background - like Skype).

Thanks,
Przemek
January 26, 2016 07:35AM
I've had problems with 1.2.9 on a Win7 64bit machine, even on a clean install with nothing else running.

It had been working OK and now previous versions, back even to 1.1.7 are not as stable as they used to be, so I suspect a Microsoft update hasn't helped.

I'm now using Craftware, mostly because I recently won a Craftbot+. Never had Craftware crash and it slices very fast.
January 26, 2016 09:23PM
Surprised this thread is four months old and 1.2.9 is still the latest.

Slic3r 1.2.9 crashes if I look at it wrong, the moon is full, if it's raining outside. No rhyme or reason.

Even reloaded my computer just to try to fix this issue. Still crash city. 64 bit or X86 version of the program, though X86 almost seems to handle a bit more stable. If I had to put my amateur guess in the ring, something in the program isn't waiting for actions to complete before deciding to fail spectacularly. Which can be an error (rare), a crash message or just shutting down with no indication other than it's not there. I can help reduce the issues by changing one item at a time, letting the green bar on the bottom right fill up and complete that single action and then waiting a few seconds.

Of course, this means nothing when the program crashes on importing models.. *Shrug*. It would be nice if the program decided not to apply my changes to the model until I go back to the Plater tab.

Windows 7 64-bit machine, maybe the more people pile on to this thread there will be a fix made.
January 27, 2016 03:55AM
Reduce threads to "1", and try setting most of the settings you're going to use before loading the STL file. Slic3r slices in background so when you start making a lot of settings changes while it is slicing it will often crash.

Que
February 03, 2016 07:13PM
I'm getting the same issue with my Mac Pro. I've found that increasing the number of threads from 2 to 8 has helped ( I have an 8 core Mac). Before that I had to delete all Slicer files and program and reinstall Slicer before it would play ball. Once shut down and restarted it would crash again as soon as a model file was loaded and began to build. I only discovered that increasing the number of threads stabilised it , this evening so not sure yet if it will work again tommorow. It's a shame as I really like Slic3r hope a fix is found soon.
March 02, 2016 02:59AM
Hi,

i had have the same problems for a long time. Disabling the slicing in background option is a little solution, but dont works every time.
March 08, 2016 12:57PM
I am not at home so I cant test this, but lowering the threads down to one should improve stability. This is assuming that the crash is related to the "Free to Wrong Pool" error that the second poster in this thread said he received when his crashed. This sounds like bad thread code, and these can be a PITA to fix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 01:14PM by GreatGrizzly.
March 09, 2016 07:23PM
One thing I have found that can cause problems is loading a part and then rapidly changing slicing parameters, especially if the part is complex or there are multiple stl files loaded. I have recently started setting most of the slicing parameters before loading any parts, then I load the part(s) and let slic3r slice it (single thread). I haven't had slic3r crash in at least a few months.

March 13, 2016 07:48PM
I'm on Linux and have the same issues. I'm sure it's a memory problem because if I load several large items to print it not only takes forever to change anything, a crash is sure to happen. I can't use Simplyf3D for the parts I'm printing. They have mesh problems that slic3r handles but Simplyfy3D repairs incorrectly, making a solid layer including any holes that should be there sad smiley The parts are for an MPCNC router and I'm finally almost done.
March 13, 2016 08:00PM
Why don't you just run them through Netfabb?
March 23, 2016 06:48PM
I finally got slic3r to slice a couple of models without crashing. The trick was to delete the entire contents of Users/(my user name)/AppData/Roaming/Slic3r, then start slic3r and re-enter all the machine, filament and print data from scratch. I set number of threads to 1 as some others have recommended. I haven't yet tried configuring two extruders, which I suspect my have triggered the crashing problem in the first place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 02:53AM by dc42.

March 23, 2016 07:10PM
It's probably related to the memory leaks recently identified. Windows 10 seems to have dramatically improved things vs. 8.1 (on one machine) and 7 (on the other). Machines with more memory help too.

The fewer settings I change after loading part(s), the more likely I am to get through the slicing without a crash. My workflow is to make all my settings changes, open Slic3r anew, load the parts and immediately slice and export, and that usually works. Turning off the dynamic slicing would probably help too if a particular slice is being especially obstinate.
May 01, 2016 03:12PM
Hi all.

I had troubles with unreliable work of Slic3r 1.2.9 too. I finally solved the problem compiling my own binaries from stable branch using Strawberry Perl distribution on Windows. To my surprise it was not only stable but also a lot faster - doing multitherad background slicing almost instant on usual models! I'm using 4 threads on 4 core machine and there are no stability problems, the GUI lags are also gone. There seems to be occasional hang (race condition?) if you are changing parameters during background reslicings too fast, so better change one or two at a time and wait for finish or set everything before you add a model.

Enough talk, here is link to binaries: [drive.google.com]

It contains the Strawberry Perl distribution with latest commit of stable Slic3r as of writing (the 49f327f0e0c608401060a33d5bffa438bc1985bd to be precise). Inside the "slic3r-stable" directory there is launch link file "Slic3r-update_my_paths.lnk" you should open its properties and update absolute paths inside to match your configuration. Then it should run out of the box. To ensure clean installation backup and remove your old Slic3r configuration directory "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Slic3r".

Enjoy!

PS. It is 64-bit distribution. I see no point to provide 32-bit for Windows >=8 because who uses it anyway? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2016 03:18PM by wojtek.
May 02, 2016 11:48AM
I'm getting frequent crashes - on Linux Mint 17.3, 64-bit, rather than Windows.

It usually happens when loading a STL file... once it's loaded, things work OK. I have already limited the threads to 1, with no change.
May 02, 2016 01:07PM
I had reliable operation in linux Mint when I compiled the program from the binaries. Using the precompiled packages didn't seem to work well for me.

May 02, 2016 01:18PM
I might have a go at that...
June 02, 2016 04:33PM
You may try our prusa3d builds of the latest Slic3r.
[www.prusa3d.com]

These builds are derived from the latest development source code of Slic3r and these builds use the latest user interface libraries, which makes them a lot more stable than the official 1.2.9 builds by Alessandro.

Disclaimer: These builds are currently based on the prusa3d branch
[github.com]
They are not official releases of Alessandro and the prusa3d branch may somehow differ from the official slic3r source code base.

Vojtech
June 04, 2016 06:56AM
I have a big problem with slic3r. It chashes all the time and then the executable (slic3r.exe) doesnt works any more! its imposible to make it works! any solution? (i have tried in 5 diferent pc and always the same problem....)

thanks!
June 04, 2016 05:56PM
Did you recreate the settings from scratch? Deleting the settings files that I imported from an earlier version and entering all the settings again solved my crashing problem - so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login