Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Install slic3r 1.2.9 on Linux Mint 17.2

Posted by prof braino 
Install slic3r 1.2.9 on Linux Mint 17.2
August 17, 2015 11:29PM
Hi! Linux Mint 17.2 64bit Cinnamon and Linux Mint 17.2 32 bit MATE gives me two issues

1) The pre-compiled package closes immediately when launched. slic3r-linux-x86_64-1-2-9-stable.tar.gz
No message is given, but if launched from a terminal window, it just displays the command line useage options.

2) the compile from source option slic3r-linux-x86_64-1-2-9-stable.tar.gz
gives message:

Configuring /home/reprap64/Slic3r/xs ... Can't locate ExtUtils/CppGuess.pm in @INC (you may need to install the ExtUtils::CppGuess module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.18 /usr/share/perl/5.18 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Build.PL line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Build.PL line 6.
N/A
! Configure failed for ./xs. See /home/reprap64/.cpanm/work/1439861890.19826/build.log for details.
The XS/C++ code failed to compile, aborting

On Mint 16 I was able to get the slic3r GUI to come up no problems. I believe I am following the instructions as I did belfore.

I probably left out something obvious (to you guys), could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

Also, I tried it with older releases of slic3r and Mint (virtual machines), with the same results.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2015 07:01PM by prof braino.
Re: slic3r 1.2.9 crashes on Linux Mint 17.2
August 18, 2015 11:52AM
OK, I think I figured it out. The install instructions were killing me. Nothing against alexrj or the project; alexrj and slic3r are great.
However, the pre-compiled binaries (option 1) do NOT work on Linux Mint, for whatever reason.
The running from source instructions (option 2) are out of sequence, to some degree mislabeled, incorrect due to typo(s), and spread across multiple pages. Not my favorite recommendations for instructions.

Here are the proper instructions for installing sli3r 1.2.9 on Linux Mint 17.2. Now we can say "you can clone the project with Git and then install all dependencies by running these few commands:"

$ sudo apt-get install -y git build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libwx-perl libmodule-build-perl libnet-dbus-perl libexpat1-dev
$ sudo apt-get install -y libxmu-dev freeglut3-dev libwxgtk-media2.8-dev

$ sudo apt-get install curl 
$ curl -curl -L [cpanmin.us] | sudo perl - --sudo App::cpanminus

$ git clone git://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r 
$ cd Slic3r 
$ sudo perl Build.PL 
$ sudo perl Build.PL --gui

NOTE these instructions ONLY Apply to Linux Mint 17.2, the original instructions may be sufficient for some other system.

My recommendation is to TEST instructions by applying them to a fresh install of the lasted recommended release of the OS, for example a fresh virtualbox install. In this case, the test shows that the instructions listed either are or are not sufficient to install the software.

The final step to bring up the gui would be (?)

$ cd Slic3r 
$ ./slic3r

I have to test this when I get home, but I think I got it now.

OK, I tested it. Notice that on Linux Mint git is already installed, but having git in the apt-get lines doesn't hurt anything, it just gives a message "already installed" or such.
Also the lines
$ -curl -L [cpanmin.us] | sudo perl - --sudo App::cpanminus

may in fact be a single line:

sudo apt-get install curl -curl -L http : // cpanmin.us | sudo perl - --sudo App::cpanminus

or two separate lines
$ curl -curl -L [cpanmin.us] | sudo perl - --sudo App::cpanminus

but it does not display correctly on this forum, nor does it display correctly (at least using Firefox 40) on the original instructions page at:

[github.com]

so this may be the source of our problems.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2015 11:00PM by prof braino.
August 18, 2015 07:00PM
The final step is to add a launcher for the slic3r gui to the MATE desktop panel (I havent figured it out for cinnamon yet).
1) right click on the panel
2) +Add to Panel
3) Custom Application Launcher
a) Name Slic3r
b) Command: [Bowse to /home/reprap64/Slic3r/slic3r.pl]
c) Click on the Icon
d) navigate to /home/reprap64/Slic3r/var/Sslic3r.png
OK

Now, clicking the slic3r icon will open slic3r as desired.
September 16, 2015 08:46PM
Thanks for sharing this... Thanks to you, I'm up and running!
Re: Install slic3r 1.2.9 on Linux Mint 17.2
September 23, 2015 03:04PM
I want to second that, thanks a lot for sharing. Although the pre-compiled 1.2.9 was working it would crash continuously. After compling it has not crashed once. (touch wood winking smiley )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login