Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 1.2.9 for dual extrusion. How do I set up different fliaments>

Posted by huntleybill 
Slic3r 1.2.9 for dual extrusion. How do I set up different fliaments>
July 01, 2015 10:08PM
I am trying a small test on my makerfarm i3v newly configured dual extruder setup. So, for my simple test, I made up a Dog ID tag in sketchup. I exported it as a .stl file. I made another .stl file for the the dogs name. What I want to end up with is a id tag imprinted with a name. I want to do the name in a different color or material from the tag itself.

I googles the manual for doing this. As you know, it has a section for multiple extruders. The bold print below was cut and pasted from the manual.

Slic3r has the feature to combine multiple STL files into a multi-material AMF file.

Split the original design into the separate parts within the CAD program, and export each part as STL.

Within Slic3r, choose Combine multi-material STL files... from the File menu.

Problem is, there is no "combine multi-material STL files" in the file menu or anywhere else.
How do I combine the STL files in Slic3r? Can you give me the steps or point to a tutorial that describes it for this version of slic3r?
If I need to go back to and older version of slic3r, I'm ok with that too.

Please help
Thank you.
Bill

Thank you
Bill
Re: Slic3r 1.2.9 for dual extrusion. How do I set up different fliaments>
July 01, 2015 11:13PM
Those instructions are probably left over from an old version. The way I typically do it is to load the base STL, then right-click it and select Settings. Then Add Modifier and make the desired changes.
July 02, 2015 10:25PM
fantastic...thank you. Only problm is, slic3r won't let me do anything but orbit around the object. The text is in the wrong spot. How do you edit the object?
Also, I was going to use ABS for the base and PLA for th text. How do I set up the temps for the extruders. At this point it looks like one temp setting for both?

Thank you
Bill
July 02, 2015 11:09PM
OOOOPs...never mind about the different materials question. I see how it works now.
Editing the object is still confusing tho. Advice on that would be great.

Thank you
Bill
July 03, 2015 12:30AM
I find it easier to build both STLs in the same coordinate system rather than try to change their relative alignment later. What that means will depend on what CAD package you're using.
July 07, 2015 05:39PM
I have the same problem. In older version of Slic3r mult-material by combing STL files worked fine. The new version doesn't provide an option. I tried the "load modifier" approach, but this doesn't then result in a GCODE export that contains the correct Extruder instructions - i.e. it treats it as one extruder
December 22, 2015 11:30AM
This was driving me nuts also. I already built it around the same coordinate plane, and loading the files at the same time didn't help. I tried IMBoring25's technique, but slic3r said it as still only one material, even though I assigned one part to extruder 1 and the other part to extruder 2. I exported the g-code anyway, and loaded it into RH to preview it. The preview has the parts in two separate colors, so I think it worked. Will run the g-code from OctoPi and report back.

I didn't run it, but the tool paths for both extruders came up so I'm sure it'll work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2015 12:31PM by widespreaddeadhead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login