Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Settings that yield good results from 1.2.7 Beta equal terrible results in 1.2.9 Stable...

Posted by nonaym 
After upgrading from Slic3r 1.2.7 beta to 1.2.9 stable I noticed the prints I was working on started to come out just awful. Using the exact same settings that yield beautiful prints in 1.2.7 beta, I get really ugly (maybe over extruded) prints in 1.2.9 stable. I thought this was supposed to improve things, not make things worse!

Take a look at the attached image to see what I am talking about. Maybe there is just a new setting that is causing this in 1.2.9 that I am missing... I don't know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, until then, I'm sticking to 1.2.7 beta.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:
open | download - 20150624_195824 (Large).png (109.1 KB)
Are you sure the filament diameter setting was copied across?

Dave
Thanks Dave. Yes, I double checked, and the filament diameter setting (along with all the other settings as far as I can tell) are identical between the two versions.....
I have a similar experience. In fact i have had problems with 1.2.6 and upwards.

I think that some default settings in 1.2.9 aren't optimal, but I have been working my way to a pretty decent result. I intend to make a post about the experience.
Basically, my starting point was the default setting (from the wizard), but I tweaked the temperatures, which was my primary mistake smiling smiley

This is relevant for PLA, not sure about ABS or other materials.

Was printing at 195 C before, but had to bump it up to 215-230 to get decent results.
The reason for this is that the new (and great) gap-fill feature can make some pretty wide extrusion widths. This builds up pressure in the nozzle at lower temperatures, which means that the filament was deposited at a later point than it should have been. This caused some serious quality problems.

Also, tweaking the extrusion width and number of perimeters helped a bit. A thin shell with a wide extrusion gapfill isn't a good combination, since the wide infill will push the perimeters apart and make the surface uneven and ugly. This is, I suppose, especially true with indecent cooling.

See attached image for the result after these changes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 06:19AM by teppic.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (18 KB)
From what I could tell, my settings (which were slightly modified from previous version defaults) carried over to 1.2.9 when I upgraded from 1.2.7 beta.

I have noticed the same issue with PLA as well as ABS. The image attached to my OP shows an ABS print, and I have attached a photo of a PLA print (mid-print) to this message. You can see in this image that on the left and right sides of the print, there is way too much filament being extruded when filling those parts, and this seems to be the same thing that happened with the print from my OP.

I am curious about this new (and great - in theory) gap-fill feature. I have looked around Slic3r and can't seem to find any toggles for the gap-fill feature. Do you know if this feature can be altered, and if so... where would one find the toggles to do so? Otherwise, unless there is something else more obvious I am missing, I think it might be nice for a toggle to exist for the gap-fill feature.

Found a related Slic3r issue tracker thread for this exact problem: [github.com]

Hope the problem gets resolved, or 1.2.9 gets marked as experimental at least in the mean time....

Also, now that I know how to add an image in-line with my post, here is my original image from the first post:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2015 03:11PM by nonaym.
I am experiencing the same exact issues. I have several files I print frequently for clients. When I use the same profiles in older slicers they come out great. But 1.2.9 looks horribly over extruded with rough finishes. I'm going to try to experiment with the infill overlap setting. If anyone comes up with a resolution please let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2015 09:04PM by ImmersedN3D.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login