Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding Dual extruder on Slic3r

Posted by jmoney 
Adding Dual extruder on Slic3r
June 08, 2015 05:54PM
Hello All,

I am trying to print using a dual extruder. I followed all the links on the website to set it up, but still no luck on that end. The problem is that the program does not recognize there are two separate extruders and it runs both extruders at the same time when I try to print on one extruder,
Please let me know if you know any additional steps I can take on Slic3r to resolve this
I am using Repetier host as the software to control the printer.
Re: Adding Dual extruder on Slic3r
June 08, 2015 06:10PM
The setting for two extruders in Slic3r is straightforward. With simultaneous extruder running, this sounds like misconfigured firmware/EEPROM to me...Not a Slic3r issue. What electronics and firmware are you running?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 06:13PM by IMBoring25.
June 08, 2015 06:16PM
We are using the MSP430 Launchpad running Energia version 15.
Here is the link for a more detailed explanation of the issue along with the code that was written.
[forums.reprap.org]
June 09, 2015 09:50AM
It looks like the problem is that the firmware you are using is not configured properly. Unfortunately I could not readily find any reference to the firmware operation or configuration in the links you provided in the other forum. You will need to find the documentation for your firmware to see whether there are any parameters that can be configured and whether it needs a special command to change extruders. I saw from your configuration file that 3 extruders are defined for the hardware and enabled, but I could not see any reference to the tool numbers that are used for each extruder. Slic3r selects the extruder to use by its tool number, and there is usually a command that to marry each extruder with a number. To confuse matter, tools may be numbered starting at 0 or 1 (i.e. tools 0, 1 and 2 or 1, 2 and 3).

You could try sending an M563 command to see if that can be used to define your tools [reprap.org]

If your controller requires a different way to switch tools (extruders) you may be able to put the relevant command in the custom tool-change G-code.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login