Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r used for custom arm type?

Posted by Jojo 
Slic3r used for custom arm type?
April 10, 2015 10:34AM
Can slic3r be used for a arm type printer like the link below?
[www.3ders.org]

If so can someone show be were to find or setup the g-code flavor?

Thanks
Re: Slic3r used for custom arm type?
April 10, 2015 12:23PM
The g-code flavour depends upon the firmware in the printer's controller rather than the mechanical configuration of the printer. What G-code command set does the controller support?

Dave
April 10, 2015 12:35PM
Well, in this case I would be using MACH3 by artsoft. Will this work or what would you recommend?
April 10, 2015 01:58PM
The Mach3 PC based controller is only the software part of a controller, and will require you to buy or build a suitable USB or Ethernet hardware controller to drive the mechanics. It does not appear to be designed to work with FFF machines because it does not have an extruder output AFAICS, though I have only had a brief look at the specs and you may be able to use a feed command or similar to drive your extruder. For that reason its command set does not seem to incorporate the "E" parameter, but you may be able to write a plugin to add that or write a script to alter Slic3r's output so as to modify the extrusion parameter. It also uses the "%" character to denote a comment rather than the ";" character, though that is a minor thing.

Note that what you are proposing is far from being a "plug and play" solution, but will need you to have a good understanding of both the software and electronics in order to design a working system - and I suggest that you should design a system that uses one of the G-code standards already used by FFF printers that Slic3r (and other FFF slicing software) is able to generate rather than end up with a machine that uses non-standard input files.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login