Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small Internal Supports not Printing

Posted by cnorrick 
Small Internal Supports not Printing
April 06, 2015 10:15PM
I've had great success with Slic3r and my new FlashForge Creator Pro but this has me stumped.

I'm trying to make this rear nozzle fan: Thing 577557. The creator kindly included his own supports for the large bridge areas at the base. I can't get them to print. Only the very back row of them that are slightly larger get spit out in the gcode. Slic3r renders them in the Cut preview but won't output them in the gcode. The only thing I've found that gets them to render is to set default extrusion width to a crazy 0.1. As far as I can tell the width of the support columns are .4mm.

Pics will help with this one I think:

X-Ray of the trouble area showing the bridge supports.

Slic3r preview, yes, that looks correct. This is a cut-away to better view the area.

G-Code viewer, no supports sad smiley

What I'm I missing? Others report success with S3D.

-Chris
Re: Small Internal Supports not Printing
April 07, 2015 05:04AM
That's the fan I use! I was using a front loaded fan for awhile, but then I switched to this one. I love being able to see the print.

I got it to print with the supports, but I think I was still using makerbot desktop at that point. Sorry, I can't help. I will say that they printed out as a complete mess, not pillars at all, but they seemed to do the job of keeping the ceiling up while printing.

There is one thing I'd like to warn you about, if you printer is like mine (mine is a Wanhao Duplicator 4x). I had trouble with that fan hitting the back wall. It doesn't do it while printing, not even while printing a huge object that takes up the whole space. It only hit the back wall after the print was done, when the extruder was returning to the home position in the back right corner of the printer. So I added this line in the end g-code:

G1 X100 Y-73 F14000.000; move to front right corner of bed

That goes right before my command to home the axes. If you have the same problem with the fan hitting the back of your machine, something like this might help.
April 07, 2015 11:12AM
I actually printed this in PLA and I have it mounted and using the motherboard fan control with some success. It didn't print the supports and the first layer of bridges was a mess. I tried to clean them out with various tools but I know there is a lot of air flow restriction in there. Now that I have a roll of clear PETG I wanted to remake it correctly and add in the LED lights.

Thanks for the tip on the ending g-code. Mine slightly bumps one of the z support rod housings with the screw head holding the fan it. Going X then Y would solve that issue and I could still go to the back corner.

Now if I can just figure out this non-printing support issue I'll be all set!

-Chris
April 08, 2015 01:14PM
Well, I sort of solved my issue. I ended up drawing a object the size of the area around the supports and using the Object Modifier to set just that area to .1 perimeter extrusion width. They were not pretty but they held the bridge up nicely. The print is just about done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login