Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer extrusion off by 10mm to Slic3r.

Posted by Credo 
Printer extrusion off by 10mm to Slic3r.
April 06, 2015 03:32AM
Hello all,

I've really been quite excited about some of the responses I've been getting here, so I'd like to continue bothering you folk about some other issues I've noticed.

I've started measuring out extrude distances, and found them to be off by almost exactly 10mm. I've marked my filament at 50 mm intervals, and set the extrude [mm] on repetier to 50 mm. When I extrude, it's 20% off with 10mm left (40mm extruded). I know this deficiency can affect my final print, is there something I can do to aleviate this fairly easily? I'm unable to get into the firmware of the printer. I'm hoping there's a work around to this?

Thanks very much in advance,

~C.
Re: Printer extrusion off by 10mm to Slic3r.
April 06, 2015 11:36AM
Even with a closed firmware there should be some way to recalibrate the extruder. Passing gcode M503 should show if your EEPROM is setting your steps per mm. Failing that, you could use a 1.25 extrusion multiplier in Slic3r.
Re: Printer extrusion off by 10mm to Slic3r.
April 07, 2015 09:22AM
IMBoring25
Even with a closed firmware there should be some way to recalibrate the extruder. Passing gcode M503 should show if your EEPROM is setting your steps per mm. Failing that, you could use a 1.25 extrusion multiplier in Slic3r.

If it is off by 20% (i.e. extruding 100mm results in only 80mm being extruded), then it is a calibration setting that should be explained in your printer instructions. On my printer the number of steps needed per mm is set by the M92 command - e.g. "M92 E500" sets the extruder calibration to 500 steps per mm. If you cannot set the extruder calibration on the printer you could do as IMBoring25 suggests and adjust the extrusion multiplier in Slic3r instead, although that is not a very elegant solution (and also suggests a mechanical problem with your printer, or maybe the wrong diameter filament).

If however it is out by 10mm no matter what length you extrude, that would be a different matter entirely with no obvious cause that I can think of.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login