Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Model position on bed

Posted by turbo2ltr 
Model position on bed
March 28, 2015 10:35AM
Brand new Flashforge creator pro. (Newbie)
I printed the test that came with it, no issues. So I was following directions on 3D Universe Unofficial guide to use slic3r.

I am using slic3r 1.2.6, with stock Sailfish 7.7 r01234

I pulled my model in and after lots of work trying to get the post processor working, I finally got a g3x file (though I have to manually run it in the command line).
I started the print, but it started it in the back right corner instead of the middle.
I cancelled it and took a look at the settings again. I set the bed up so the center was 0,0. So I have:

Size: 228,150
Origin: 114,75

This moved the axis indicator on the model preview to the center of the model. I reran gcode and post processor.

But it didn't make a difference. I've been searching and found a few others with the same issue, but it seems changing the settings I found was the answer.

While I don't like doing it, I copied and pasted the custom g-code from the 3duniverse manual, which I'm wondering if it is screwing things up..

T0     				;set primary extruder 
M73 P0     			;enable show build progress 
M109 S[first_layer_bed_temperature] T0     ;heat bed up to first layer temperature 
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0     ;set nozzle heater to first layer temperature 
M103     			;disable RPM 
G21     			;set units to mm 
G162 X Y F6000     	;home XY axes maximum 
G161 Z F9000     	;home Z axis minimum 
G92 Z0     			;set Z to 0 
M132 X Y Z A B     	;Recall stored home offsets 
G90     			;set positioning to absolute 
G1 Z30     			;move Z to waiting height 
G1 X-95 Y-73 Z30 F14000     ;move to waiting position (front left corner of print bed) 
G130 X0 Y0 A0 B0     ;set stepper motor vref to lower value while heating 
M6 T0     			;wait for bed and extruder to heat up 
G130 X127 Y127 A127 B127     ;set stepper motor vref to defaults 
M108 T0 R3     		;set extruder speed 
G92 E0     			;set E to 0 
G90     			;use absolute coordinates 
M320     			;acceleration enabled for all commands that follow 
G1 Z[first_layer_height] F6000.000     	;move to first layer height 
G1 X100 Y-73 F14000.000     			;move to front right corner of bed 
G1 X-90 Y-73 E24 F2000.000    			;extrude a line of filament across the front edge of the bed 
G4 P2000     		;wait for ooze to slow 
G1 Z0 F6000.000     ;lower nozzle height to 0 
G1 X-95     		;wipe nozzle 
G1 Z[first_layer_height] F6000.000     ;set nozzle to first layer height 
G1 F12000     		;ensure fast travel to first print move 
G92 E0     			;set E to 0 again 
M73 P0     			;reset build progress to 0

Thanks!
-Mike
Re: Model position on bed
March 28, 2015 01:38PM
Disregard, I must have mixed up my files. I did another model and it worked fine.

I will say slic3r 1.2.6 is definitely unstable. It crashes quite often. I probably should have gone with the stable version for a newbie.
March 28, 2015 02:04PM
turbo2ltr
I will say slic3r 1.2.6 is definitely unstable. It crashes quite often. I probably should have gone with the stable version for a newbie.

I found slic3r 1.2.0 unusable and went back to 1.1.7. I am now using 1.2.6. If I load and slice a model, delete it from the platter, and load and slice another model, it often terminates immediately without any messages. But if I reload slic3r, then the model slices OK. So I suggest reloading slic3r 1.2.6 every time you want to load a new model.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 28, 2015 02:46PM
Around the time I added the MatterControl software for my Rostock to the laptop I've been using to control the printers, all installed versions of Slic3r...Legacy, current stable, current experimental, you name it...started consistently crashing on me (as did MatterControl, from the beginning). I switched the Rostock to Repetier and am running latest experimental Slic3r on another (more powerful) computer with only occasional crashes.
March 28, 2015 02:55PM
Yes I've had it terminate without error multiple times.. sometimes when I'm changing settings, other times just random. Right now, if I try to reload the last model I was working on, it terminates right after it loads. I have to load another model, and then reload the original and it seems to work.

Also can't seem to get the post processor working right. If I use the command line in a dos window, it works. If I use the built in functionality, it creates a file but the bed and extruder temps are wrong when I run it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login