Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odd behavior at end of print, including unnecessary retraction

Posted by JasonMBryant 
Odd behavior at end of print, including unnecessary retraction
March 03, 2015 03:59AM
When I set up slic3r, I used the start and end gcode suggested on this thread:

[groups.google.com]

Since then, I've had one consistent issue. At the end of any print, the extruder block goes to the back right corner as I expect it too, then the printer gets weird. It moves the extruder to the center of the bed at the same time that it lowers the print bed. This would be fine except for two things.

1) How fast it does it varies from a normal speed to very, very slow. It seems like the longer the job, the slowing this end movement is. I am not exaggerating when say that it sometimes takes several minutes to lower the print bed and move the extruder to the center. This morning I finished a 17 hour print job, and the movement was so slow I could barely see it. After about 10 minutes I started a new job and then immediately cancelled it just to get it to stop.

2) The print filament is retracted during this time. Sometimes it's just a tiny bit, sometimes it is so much that nothing comes out for the first few seconds of a print job, and sometimes the filament is completely unloaded. I mean completely, it's not touching the stepper at all. I generally have to reload the extruder before every print job.

I've looked at the gcode, and I don't see anything that I know would cause this. I've attached the 17 hour gcode file, except I cut out everything between 1% and 99% so that it would be small enough to attach. If anyone can take a look and tell me what's going on, I'd really appreciate it.

There's one other odd thing. This line is in my end gcode:

M70 P5; Display "We <3 Making Things!" message

Guess what's displayed:

Display "We <3 Making Things!" message

That's including the words "Display" and "message". For some reason, stuff that is supposed to be in a comment is being displayed on the screen.
Attachments:
open | download - palm with extra support.gcode (340 KB)
Re: Odd behavior at end of print, including unnecessary retraction
March 03, 2015 07:41AM
Sounds like a printer issue - but you have not stated what printer you have. Might be an idea to post your situation to the printer forum.

Dave
March 03, 2015 10:36AM
I have a Wanhao Duplicator 4x.

I don't think it's a priner issue. It doesn't do any of these things when I'm using Makerbot Desktop.
March 03, 2015 10:42AM
This might be important. I'm using Replicator G to turn the gcode into .x3g files that my printer can read. That's a step that isn't necessary with Makerbot Desktop, so it's possible that that's adding something extra.
March 04, 2015 04:37AM
Just to check, I'm trying converting my gcode to x3g files using gpx instead of Rep G. I've only done a couple of prints, but they seem good. The problem is inconsistent, so I'll have to do some more prints to see if that solved it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login