Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vase Printing Speed

Posted by kre8 
Vase Printing Speed
March 02, 2015 11:14AM
So, right now I'm printing a vase, and it's moving quite slowly... really slowly.

My speed settings are pretty high.
> Perimeters: 90mm/s
> Small perimeters: 90mm/s
> External perimeters: 70%
> Infill: 180mm/s
> etc....

It printed fast as it should for the skirt, brim, and solid bottom layers, but it's printing the vase at like 15mm/s.

Can someone tell me why it's moving so slow and how I can speed it up? I'm thinking it might have something to do with the constant Z increase.

EDIT:
Perhaps this EEPROM setting is the culprit?
Z-axis max. feedrate [mm/s]: 5.00

AND--

Here's what I'm printing: [www.thingiverse.com]
Perhaps it's simply going so slow because the model is so ruffled so the printer is constantly changing direction and never has a flat stretch to get up to full speed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2015 11:24AM by kre8.
Re: Vase Printing Speed
March 02, 2015 01:19PM
Your max Z-rate seems plenty fast enough to print layers at full speed. It could be your acceleration values, but I would have thought they would also affect the base perimeter speed. One other variable to look for is minimum layer time (cooling settings) - set that to zero in case Slic3r assumes that the layer time is the time between any change in height - in which case it would be very slow in spiral vase mode if you have that figure set to non-zero.

Dave
Re: Vase Printing Speed
March 04, 2015 12:38PM
I found it on my own, it was exactly as you supposed, Dave, it was the minimum layer time setting. I have it to zero now, and am now printing a vase absurdly fast. The first couple loops melted because I didn't turn the fan on fast enough. I'll set the fan to go on automatically for next time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login