Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem Rotating Objects

Posted by Focamonca 
Problem Rotating Objects
February 22, 2015 08:57AM
I have a Problem when I want to rotate an Object on other Axis different from X.
Is it possible? on Cura software I can do it very easily, but on Slic3r I don't know how to do.
Thank you

Re: Problem Rotating Objects
February 22, 2015 05:26PM
For starters, what I think you're wanting is to rotate an object about an axis other than Z...And I stand to be corrected but I don't believe Slic3r has that native functionality. You can rotate the STL in, for example, netfabb, but from within Slic3r I don't see any option to do so.
February 23, 2015 08:30AM
Yes, that is a minor annoyance with Slic3r. Quite frequently a 3rd party STL has an object that is upside down or standing on an edge and you have to go through the extra stage of modifying the STL in another application. Cura can rotate about any axis but only by a few discrete amounts. The best IMO is the way Simplify3D allows you to type in the rotation angle of each axis.

Dave
February 23, 2015 10:47AM
You can rotate with Slic3r as well. But the Icons don't work. Use Object->Rotate->X/Y/Z instead.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
February 23, 2015 11:08AM
Rightclick object and select rotate->axe

before you express annoyance with missing functionality generally you should at least have checked the manual or FAQ as a credit to the developer:-)
February 23, 2015 11:33AM
justcurious
Rightclick object and select rotate->axe

before you express annoyance with missing functionality generally you should at least have checked the manual or FAQ as a credit to the developer:-)

Thankyou for pointing that out. It appears to be new feature in version 1.2.6 (as is the ability to right-click on the object in general) so forgive me for stating what has been the case until very recently. Good that the developers eventually recognised the annoyance and have done something about it. Few people read the latest version of a manual after upgrading to a newer release - with a new release of at least one application coming out at the rate of around one a day, that would be a full-time job!

Dave
February 23, 2015 10:15PM
The only problem I found in 1.2.6 was using "FLIP". Flip works well but it is actually MIRROR which is not flip as one might think.
Between the rotate which does work an any axis and at any degree of rotation, and the flip or (mirror) on any axis, all bases are covered.
Usually if one flips a part over the same part will be printed only from a different direction.

Because the rotate command will flip the part if rotated in X or Y axis I think the Flip should be changed to mirror to be percise on the real action involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 10:16PM by lumen.
February 24, 2015 03:19AM
Mirror, flip, reflection. Everything is the same.

[en.wikipedia.org])
wiki
Some mathematicians use "flip" as a synonym for "reflection".

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
February 24, 2015 07:10AM
"Flip" could mean rotate (as in "flip a coin" or "flip a pancake") or to swap with an alternative. However to "flip a photograph" in printing terminology means to mirror the image. By itself the word would be ambiguous, but if there is a separate "rotate" function then I would assume that it means "mirror."

Dave
February 24, 2015 11:04PM
The problem is if you flip your part because it will build better with the back side up, then the part is wrong because when you flip it back to use it it's a mirrored part.
Remember this is not a 2d photograph, it's a 3d object. In most cad software there is only rotate on any axis, and mirror on any axis. All bases are covered.

I suppose it doesn't matter once you know that flip means mirror and not simply flip over.
It's one of those command mistakes you only make once and lesson learned!
February 25, 2015 10:17AM
It makes no difference that it is 3D rather than 2D - the mirror will be different to the non-mirror in both cases. There is a "Dr. Who" episode in which an alien spacecraft is shown flying over Big Ben in London. The original had the spacecraft flying left to right, but in final edit it was decided that it would look better if it flew right to left and so the video was flipped rather than re-doing the CGI. The clock-face of Big Ben thus has the "III" roman numeral on the left and the "IX" numeral on the right. Had it been normal figures "3" and "9" they would not have got away with showing a mirrored scene.

There are definitely occasions where you would want to print a mirrored object. A pair of ornaments to put at each end of a shelf or use as bookends, for example.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 10:19AM by dmould.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login