Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

problem slicing a model: no support material where it should be

Posted by Maxxon 
problem slicing a model: no support material where it should be
February 16, 2015 05:11PM
Hello community,

i am using slic3r 1.1.7 i am trying to slice this model with support material enabled. But doesnt matter what i do, i can't get slic3r to support the hair (see the attached picture). I tried checking/unchecking "don't support bridges" and played with different settings for "overhand threshold". but i didn't have any luck. What might be the reason?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BTW: the model i used for slicing was repaired by netfabb, as the model on thingiverse is not manifold. But the same problem shows up when slicing the unrepaired model.

kind regards
Maxxon
Attachments:
open | download - hair.png (483 KB)
Re: problem slicing a model: no support material where it should be
February 17, 2015 04:37PM
Regular support might not work. The hair starts so pointed (sharp) that Slic3r perhaps cannot match the support. Try tu use MeshMixer and add pillar support. Alternatively, you can use the same MeshMixer to flat a bit the tips and then give Slic3r another chance.
Re: problem slicing a model: no support material where it should be
February 18, 2015 07:36AM
Anything that comes to a point at the bottom (e.g. an inverted cone) will usually fail to print satisfactorily unless there is a bridge to a more substantial anchor within a few layers, because it is too weakly anchored to the bed (or brim or raft or support column). It needs some sort of scaffold support beside or around it with frequent bridges until it has grown to have a reasonably sized perimeter, and I don't know of any slicing application that would automatically generate such a scaffold.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login