Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help figuring out what's going wrong with this slice?

Posted by StarManta 
Help figuring out what's going wrong with this slice?
February 12, 2015 10:31AM
Hey all,

I've been trying to print this model for 3 days now, and I am at my wit's end on figuring out what's going wrong.

Basically, this is a figurine. I have a 3D scan of someone, and am printing a figurine with a base. The base should be a ~4 inch wide ellipse, and has a serial number on the underside of it, in a recessed bit. In addition, I've added 2 large support structures for this particular model.

And drum roll.... [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

I stopped the print after about 2 layers because that would be a lot of PLA to waste on a print that has very obviously gone bad.

It's not only not printing the base, it's also only printing some of the characters from the serial number - that's supposed to read B5076. And on top of that it's filling in the square after it prints those characters, which is supposed to be a void. (this has printed without issue on previous prints). This void is created by boolean-ing out a modified cube from the base's mesh, and then the text is simply extruded text. (All in Blender)

I would point out that I am using the same process and template file that I've used in 3 other successful prints, and very similar to dozens of other, smaller prints. None have exhibited anything like this. The base, which is simply not printing at all, has not changed 1 bit from any of these other prints.

Here is the STL file: [dl.dropboxusercontent.com] When I bring the STL file into Slic3r, the "red blob" shape it shows looks the way it's supposed to look - it's filling nearly the entire print volume of the printer.

Here is the resulting GCode: [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

The chain of software I used to generate this file was Skanect -> Blender (fill holes, add stand, & large supports) -> MeshMixer (add detailed supports) -> Slic3r. The printer is an Orion Delta; I'm using the Slic3r profile that SeeMeCNC provided for it.

I am at a complete loss on solving this, and this was supposed to be finished days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 10:34AM by StarManta.
Re: Help figuring out what's going wrong with this slice?
February 12, 2015 10:49AM
Your STL file has problems.

Use the netfabb Model Repair Service to fix it, then slice it again with Slic3r.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 12, 2015 11:01AM
HERE is the fixed file which I was able to slice properly using the newest Slic3r Version.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 12, 2015 11:14AM
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll take a crack at this when I get home from work (at which point I may have more questions), but it looks like this'll work.
February 12, 2015 07:05PM
Just started the print using your fixed file, and everything is looking much more on track this time. Thanks!

We have a live feed of the printer, too, in case you're curious how it turns out. Here's the link: [www.figyourine.net]
February 13, 2015 11:15AM
Nice video feed! The ends of the pitchfork (or whatever it is) are being pushed back and forth a *lot* as they are printed, so I doubt they will turn out too well ...

Dave
February 13, 2015 11:24AM
Thanks!

Yeah, there have already been some issues with that (the bottom of her sleeves, mainly) and I'm going to have to reinforce those supports and start the print over - I'm basically letting it finish at this point just so that I know if there are any further issues along those lines further up. Better to waste ~4 extra hours now than risk wasting 20 hours if the next print is bad (especially since we're lower on white filament than I'd like, too, until my order comes in). I am recording the print - first chance I've had to do that with a big one, since I just got my big hard drive installed - so I'll be able to go back over the recording and confirm what's going on with all those supports, and possibly adjust my process so that it doesn't happen again. I'm doing science!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login