Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle dragging on work, even though z-lift is set

Posted by adshale 
Nozzle dragging on work, even though z-lift is set
February 11, 2015 08:08AM
HI all,

My first post!

I've been using my 3d printer for over a year now, and I've just updated to Slic3r 1.1.7.23. I tend to have z-lift set in Slic3r, as I dislike the "dragging" of the nozzle across the surface (as anyone who has had a part detatch will attest to!). The thing is, sometimes when it's doing infill, it doesn't z-lift before moving to a new spot to continue doing infill. At best, it leaves a streak of fillament, but at worst it scrapes across the surface.

Is this a known issue in the latest version of Slic3r, as I don't remember it in past versions? Is there any work-arounds I can try? My printer doesn't support hardware z-lift, so I have to do it through software.

Cheers

Ads
Re: Nozzle dragging on work, even though z-lift is set
February 11, 2015 11:05AM
I'm not sure about the slic3r "Z" lift settings but I was having the same problem. I tried to fix the nozzle dragging issue in software and then turned to another approach.
The fix for me was modifying the nozzle by making the land at the tip very small and making it round not flat.
I now use a nozzle of .3 mm and a tip radius of 2.5 mm. The circular area at the tip is about 2.5 mm also.

Solved all my print problems and now I don't lift.
February 12, 2015 10:08AM
It looks like in Slic3r 1.2.6 that you need to set a filiment retract distance to activate the Z axis lift settings.
February 18, 2015 09:08AM
I had the filament retract distance set, but it was still doing it.

There was an option "only retract on crossing perimeters" that was set to true. I've set this to false, and now it appears to be lifting every time it moves (correctly).

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction though!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login