Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Top layer problems

Posted by JasonMBryant 
Top layer problems
February 04, 2015 01:38AM
I recently started using slic3r. After working with the settings, it does everything better than my old slicer *except* the top layer. The top layer is consistently bad.

I've attached a picture of two similar parts, the one on the left printed with Makerbot Desktop, the one on the right printed with slic3r. The pieces are two sections of the same roof, so they have the same slopes. You can see that the Makerbot piece is great, but the slic3r piece has gaps at the corners.

Both of these prints are done at .1mm. Both are set for very low speeds.

I've all the top/bottom fill settings without any improvement. It's set for 3 top and bottom infill layers.

Like I say, other than the top layer, slic3r does everything else better, so I'd rather use it.

Any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - DSCF3060.JPG (61.5 KB)
Re: Top layer problems
February 04, 2015 07:51AM
I may be mistaken, but I'd say your Slic3r prints are a little under-extruded. Maybe try increasing the extrusion multiplier (under "Filament Settings"). If that's not it, you could try experimenting with the top solid infill extrusion width ("Print Settings">"Advanced")

Dave
Re: Top layer problems
February 04, 2015 08:29AM
Cool, I'll give that a try. I didn't have a caliper, so I just trusted that the filament was the diameter that it said on the box. I wonder why Makerbot Desktop gets different results than slic3r.

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login