Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using Slice3r to control a SLS 3D printer

Posted by mecanicu 
Using Slice3r to control a SLS 3D printer
December 07, 2014 11:57AM
Hello
I'm wondering if it's possible to control a SLS/SLM 3d printer with Slice3r.
I'm in the process of constructing a printer, it will be controlled by this [www.sunny-technology.com].
In sort terms it's a galvo laser base system (a laser is directed by a galvo scanner to the gas-tight working chamber, were the laser sintering the powder in layers to form the 3d part). Works similar to this one [www.youtube.com]
This controller i'm using can control the laser, the galvo scanner (X,Y axis movement) and 4 stepper motors (Z axis, 2 axis for powder cartridge, and 1 axis for powder delivery by miens of a roller or scraper) + extra I/O ports.
I have the firmware and dll's + h files for software integration, but i don't know if Slice3r can work with this!?
Re: Using Slice3r to control a SLS 3D printer
December 08, 2014 09:06AM
So long as you set the extrusion width in Slic3r to the width of the sinter, and your controller understands the G-codes, I don't see any reason why it would not work in principle. The controller would obviously ignore the "E" (extrusion length) parameter. It may be however that for best results the paths will need to be somewhat different to the way FFF is printed.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login