Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem slicing a model

Posted by Loz 
Loz
Problem slicing a model
December 05, 2014 11:36AM
Hi all,

I am having issues trying to slice up a bladed axial turbine-type model that I made in Sketchup. I've made models previously using this tool and had no issues, but this model doesn’t seem to be happy to be sliced up.
The Sketchup file (made with Sketchup 2015) and the .STL file that it exported from the model (using the STL exporter from Sketchup’s Extension Warehouse) are attached (I had to put them in a .zip file as they were otherwise larger than this forum’s 614.4 KB file limit).

The file looks fine in Sketchup (and even when re-imported back into Sketchup from the .STL file it makes), and looks good when dropped (in pink) onto the “virtual platform” in Repetier Host (version 0.95F), but when sliced (using a Slic3r version that says it’s 1.0.0RC3) it gets mangled, ending up either flat and with weird extra bits thrown into the turbine/compressor blades (as with this model) and unevenly spaced blades.
Sadly, it prints as it looks after slicing (mangled) rather than as it looks when the model drops onto the virtual platform in Repetier Host. Boo.

Does anyone out there have any ideas what I might be doing wrong here? I’m completely lost.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Attachments:
open | download - Compressor blades 05e.zip (570.4 KB)
Re: Problem slicing a model
December 05, 2014 05:41PM
Looking at the stl file in NetFabb, one of the blades is missing a top face. I ran the STL through the NetFabb cloud repair service and it looks like it's fixed all the issues - this version should slice and print OK.

Compressorblades05e_fixed.stl

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Loz
Re: Problem slicing a model
December 08, 2014 04:40AM
Thank you, 3dkarma. I wasn't aware of NetFabb. It looks like it would be handy, though they don't seem to want to be open about how much it costs for the professional version!

Thanks again. It looks like your own website does some good stuff, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login