Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modifier mesh for 100% infill shouldn't affect perimeters.

Posted by CaptainObvious 
Modifier mesh for 100% infill shouldn't affect perimeters.
November 14, 2014 04:41AM
I have a suggestion (or perhaps I'm doing something wrong), I wanted to use the modifying object functionality to add 100% infill in some areas of an object to increase the strength of the part and prevent delamination; the problem is that Slic3r, instead of simply doing a 100% infill within the modifying volume it splits the object so that it creates perimeter loops on either side of the intersection leaving what I think would be a relatively weak joint in between, not to mention the visible seam on the outside.

To me it would be much better if Slic3r would simply do a 100% infill within the continuous perimeter, as it does for example when the infill area is bellow the threshold for solid infill.
Re: Modifier mesh for 100% infill shouldn't affect perimeters.
November 14, 2014 12:20PM
Here's a couple images to show the issue:

As you can see the infill modifier splits the object and inserts a separate path structure in between:

This results in very obvious seams and probably creates a failure point for the part:

It would be better if only the infill would be affected by the modifier object, leaving the perimeters intact.
November 14, 2014 01:36PM
I have not seen that feature - I probably do not have a version of Slic3r that supports it. Not having a clue how it works, I am nevertheless wondering whether it would be possible to mark the area requiring the solid infill slightly inboard of the outer perimeter so the normal exterior perimeters are not included in the marked area?

Dave
November 15, 2014 02:39AM
dmould
I have not seen that feature - I probably do not have a version of Slic3r that supports it. Not having a clue how it works, I am nevertheless wondering whether it would be possible to mark the area requiring the solid infill slightly inboard of the outer perimeter so the normal exterior perimeters are not included in the marked area?

Dave

Yes, that would probably work, but you'll need a geometry that conforms to the shape of the object, which is something I've used a few times by creating a thin gap inside the object (as thin as 0.1mm), offset by three or four perimeter widths from the surface, that forces Slic3r to create solid perimeters around the gap that fuse to the external perimeters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login