Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skirts: How to have many skirts when printing many objects?

Posted by SunBoley 
Skirts: How to have many skirts when printing many objects?
November 12, 2014 12:39AM
Hello,

In Slic3r, I can't print one skirt per object when I print many objects on the print bed.
This is useful to minimize printed objects from warping (It makes a tiny heated chamber around the printed object).
The tall skirts must be very close to the printed objects, to be effective (0.5 to 1 mm from the object).
It requires one tall skirt per printed object.

So, how to print one skirt per object when printing many objects on the print bed (all at once and/or printing one object after the other)?

Re: Skirts: How to have many skirts when printing many objects?
November 12, 2014 09:08AM
I've not heard of that technique to prevent warping. I'll have to give it a try! I don't know whether it is possible to get Slic3r to print separate skirts, though I know that other slicing software will do so if the objects are spaced far enough apart. If you are printing parts that you designed yourself, I suppose you could add a skirt to your design manually. Otherwise with Slic3r I think your only solution is to print the objects one at a time. They will at least then each print more quickly which of itself may reduce warping.

Afterthought: I wonder whether what is really happening is that the skirt is protecting against draughts? I know from experience that the draught from opening a door just once during an ABS print will often cause it to warp, and so I often set up a tall barrier around the printer using cardboard boxes to make a sort of ad-hoc open top enclosure, and avoid opening doors or windows or even much movement in the room as much as possible.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 09:14AM by dmould.
November 12, 2014 04:07PM
Ok!

Then, how to make that be a new Slic3r feature request?
November 12, 2014 04:20PM
Open a new "issue" here: [github.com] and prefix the subject with "Feature request:", add a short descriptive title and then describe the proposal in the body.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login