Advanced

Need more support material

Posted by balornt 
Need more support material
October 28, 2014 06:21PM
First of all my setup:
Repetier 1.0.6
Slic3r 1.1.7

I am working on a project and am ready to print the case for it but I am a bit concerned about the slicing for the bottom of the case. I don't think it will be able to print correctly once it reaches the top surface. It will print the screw posts and battery casing just fine, but the top surface will sag due to lack of support material. I would flip it over, but I think the support material created for the battery casing would be rather error prone. How can I get Slic3r to generate more support material for that top surface?

I have tried fiddling with the support material options (which are few) and have had no luck. I haven't tried printing it yet because it would take a lot of time/material to try (9h:6m:13s according to the estimate), if you think this will succeed then let me know how the top surface will not sag.

I would love to upload my STL, GCode, and/or Slic3r config, but this forum has a 614.4 KB file size limit, which is ridiculously low considering the forum subject. Since my workplace blocks online storage sites and Dropbox, I will host them on a github repo. Here is the link: https://github.com/CptMonkeyFist/TempCaseDesign
Re: Need more support material
October 29, 2014 08:15PM
Turn off the "Don't support bridges" setting in the Print Settings / Support material section.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
October 30, 2014 01:18PM
I feel sheepish. Thanks for the help... and lack of sarcasm for such a rookie oversight.
October 30, 2014 05:46PM
I wouldn't call it a rookie oversight. It's not immediately obvious what that setting will do to a print.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login