Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

incremental z movement

Posted by paulrovers 
incremental z movement
October 26, 2014 03:32PM
Hi all. I am new to this forum and just started using this software. I am trying to use this software in g-code format on a cancellation machine. I would like to output the z moves as an incremental statement rather than absolute. eg g91 z 0.5 rather than g1 z1 then g1 z1.5. Hope this makes sense and hope someone can help.Thanks.
Re: incremental z movement
October 27, 2014 10:05AM
I don't believe there is an option to do that with the Z move. Probably your easiest workaround will be to write a script or small program to modify the G code file. A Z move usually only takes place every layer (unless "spiral vase" is selected), so it would also be possible to modify the G-code file by hand in a text editor as there are not that many places it needs changing (just do a search for the letter "Z" and change the numbers by hand).

Dave
program language format
October 27, 2014 10:34AM
Hi Thanks
I'm actually running this software on a laser powder deposition machine that is designed for cladding aerospace parts. the machine is fanuc based. I would like to put various bits out as # variables that can be controlled at the beginning of the program. i.e. feed as F#300 and not F500.
This would apply to rapid, cross traverse etc with a different variable rather than an actual value.

My next point is because i am using a powder feeder i want the powder to stop at the start point with no cross over or seam as this causes build up. Can this be done. I can easily add code on travers commands but need to physically shorten the path so as not to overlap on each slice.
Hope someone can help.
regards
paul
October 27, 2014 10:35AM
Thanks
I was really wondering if there is anyway to get to the post processor as this is what i am used to whn using cad cam software.
October 27, 2014 04:04PM
Slic3r is designed for FFF machines. I should think you need to get hold of slicing software that is specific for the 3D printing technology you are using - while they may have a common basis, they each have sufficiently different requirements that a toolpath that works for one technology is unlikely to be suitable for a different technology. You can certainly use a knife to loosen a screw, and digital callipers to tighten a nut, but it is better to use a tool that is designed for the job rather than misusing a tool designed to do something different.

Dave
October 27, 2014 06:07PM
Thanks Dave. I understand your point and agree, however I am currently doing a bit of r and d. The software does 90% of what I need it to do. It would just save me some time if I could edit the post processor. The initial trials, though primitive are promising.
October 28, 2014 03:11PM
Being at R&D department, you may consider starting from the sources [github.com], forking the project and eventually modifying it to cope with your needs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login