Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Infill every n layers" does not work

Posted by gruzdev_f 
"Infill every n layers" does not work
October 20, 2014 02:37AM

nozzle = 0.4, layer = 0.2, Infill every n layers = 2

but no difference I see is printed perimeter, then infill, and so each layer.

with this feature, I must first see 2 perimeter in 2 layers, and then one infill?
may incorrectly selected layer thickness?
Re: "Infill every n layers" does not work
November 05, 2014 05:00AM
I have the same problem. The option does simply not take any effect. Its a pitty though cause the idea of saveing print time this way would be the awesomest... any suggestions anyone?

guru meditation
www.3dk.berlin
November 05, 2014 05:12AM
I have solved the problem, the amount of the layer thickness must be less than the diameter of the nozzle.
on a layer of 0.175 everything works smiling smiley
November 05, 2014 06:02AM
damn, i wanted to print like 0.3mm layers and infill just every 3rd...

guru meditation
www.3dk.berlin
November 05, 2014 06:15AM
if the layer is 0.3 then infil should have a diameter of 0.9. it is very unlikely that your extruder is capable of delivering that))) unless you have no nozzle of 1 mm in diameter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 06:16AM by gruzdev_f.
November 05, 2014 06:19AM
is there any chance to tweak this in a way that it can at least fill a higth of 0.4mm? so i could print 0.2 layers and fill any 2nd?

guru meditation
www.3dk.berlin
November 05, 2014 06:32AM
0.175 I tried at random, try to increase the thickness, 0.185 or 0.195
November 05, 2014 06:50AM
yea 0.195 working and running at the moment at one of my printers

just thinking about giving the 2nd extruder a 1mm nozzle... but i´m not sure if this would work

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 06:50AM by plasticmonk.

guru meditation
www.3dk.berlin
November 05, 2014 02:52PM
Just set your nozzle diameter a bit bigger than 0.4 and it should print at 0.2mm with infill every other layer. Maybe try 0.41mm to start, and if that doesn't work increase it in steps until it does. Nozzle diameter should not otherwise affect the G-code produced (it may change the automatic perimeter width Slic3r uses, which in turn can affect thin wall sections, but if you find thin walls are not getting filled correctly you can over-ride the default by setting the perimeter width manually - in this case to your original 0.4mm nozzle diameter).

Dave
November 06, 2014 09:07AM
thanks for your help guys, it works brilliantly! i set the nozzle size to .401 and the infill flow to 110%. Seems to be an good combination. Its still printing but this seems to be an awesome option to print objects with a huge volume.
I´m gonna try annyway to have one nozzle 1mm and the other one 0.4 and then print three 0.3 layers and one infill. I suppose i´m gonna get some problems with oozing though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2014 09:08AM by plasticmonk.

guru meditation
www.3dk.berlin
November 06, 2014 01:17PM
plasticmonk
thanks for your help guys, it works brilliantly! i set the nozzle size to .401 and the infill flow to 110%. Seems to be an good combination. Its still printing but this seems to be an awesome option to print objects with a huge volume.
I´m gonna try annyway to have one nozzle 1mm and the other one 0.4 and then print three 0.3 layers and one infill. I suppose i´m gonna get some problems with oozing though

I suspect you will get problems with your extruder slipping when trying to output that volume of material unless you print very slowly. As I alluded to previously, Slic3r usually uses a default extrusion *width* equal to the nozzle size you have set. Which means that walls that are thinner than (((2*number of perimeters)+1)*nozzle diameter) but are not an exact multiple of the nozzle diameter will not get filled (because the gap between the perimeter walls is thinner than the width of plastic being extruded). You can however manually change the extrusion width (Print Settings / Advanced).

Dave
November 09, 2014 01:55AM
dmould
Slic3r usually uses a default extrusion *width* equal to the nozzle size you have set.

Actually, the default extrusion width is slightly larger than the nozzle diameter that is to correct for the die swell.
It's funny that to avoiding gaps in thin wall, you have to set the nozzle size a bit lower than it's actual diameter. Now, for the trick above, you have to set it a bit higher smiling smiley
November 10, 2014 09:17AM
3Dmaker4U
dmould
Slic3r usually uses a default extrusion *width* equal to the nozzle size you have set.

Actually, the default extrusion width is slightly larger than the nozzle diameter that is to correct for the die swell.
It's funny that to avoiding gaps in thin wall, you have to set the nozzle size a bit lower than it's actual diameter. Now, for the trick above, you have to set it a bit higher smiling smiley

You are correct about the default being a bit larger than the nozzle diameter - my mistake. Rather than changing the nozzle diameter it may however be better to set the extrusion width manually which should over-ride the default.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login